We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Pompeii - day trips further afield

London, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Staying in Pompeii - day trips further afield

Hi, we're due to stay in Pompeii for a week at the end of September. Once we have spent a few days visiting Pompeii ruins, Mount Vesuvius and Herculaneum I thought we could plan day trips further afield. I am trying to find how easy it is to travel out for day trips to Sorrento, Amalfi Coast and possibly Isle of Capri. I can see the Circumvesuviana train details but I'm struggling to find timetables and figure how we can plan these days. Any help or advice gratefully received. Thank you

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
441 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Pompeii - day trips further afield

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i26217-Campania…

maybe my triplist can help

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,165 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Pompeii - day trips further afield

When we stayed in Pompei it was the off-season and many of the Pompei restaurants were closed. Most nights we took the Circumvesuviana to Sorrento ate dinner there and shopped until 9 pm and then took the Circumvesuviana back to Pompei. the circumvesuviana runs every 30 min.

To go to Capri, you would trake the Circumvesuviana to the end of the line and then head towards Piazza Tasso to catch the bus to the port. or you can walk down the stairs on the cliff to the port

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

It is only a 30 min journey forn Sorrernot port to Capri. How often the hydrofoils run is detemined by the season. At least every 1-2 hours.

Oplontis (ruins of Popaea's villa, Nero's wife) is accessible from the Torre Annunziata Circumvesuviana stop (one stop over from Pompei Scavi). It was also buried by the volcano. The frescoes were awesome.

London, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Pompeii - day trips further afield

Many thanks, this is very helpful! I appreciate you taking the time! Looking at your photos we can't wait to go!

London, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Pompeii - day trips further afield

Thank you so much! This is perfect! So much detail - we simply can't wait now!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Pompeii - day trips further afield

Be sure you don't overlook the glorious Greek temples at Paestum - only a simple train ride away, and a complete contrast to the Roman remains scattered around Vesuvius....

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/paestum

You'll find travel details, along with those for getting to the island of Ischia (if you fancied such an outing!), in this thread started by someone who was staying in Pompei only last year....

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187786-i1888-k4…

Just at present, don't bust a gut seeking precise travel times - almost all routes get a reshuffle when the schools reopen, around mid-September!

Hopefully though this will give an idea of how long journeys should take....

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/132567370

For links to the websites of all Campania's public transport operators, arranged by area served, start from:

www.unicocampania.it/index.php…

And maybe check out these two offers whilst there:

For now though, the CV railway is issuing timetables each month - with August's here:

http://www.vesuviana.it/web/agosto

Hopefully won't change very much in September!

And try this, if having difficulty with the various codes etc that some of them use:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187782-i162-k56…

Peter

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Pompeii - day trips further afield

PS - should have said....

If wanting one to use on the Sorrento / Amalfi Coast peninsula, note that only this version (3 Day, "Tutta La Regione" - 27 Euro, including 2 prepaid site entrances) comes with a transport pass that's valid there:

www.campaniartecard.it/EN/itinerary.cfm?id=13

Peter

London, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Pompeii - day trips further afield

Peter, thank you this is so very helpful! This is the first time I have posted a question and I am just so impressed by the responses I have received. Your time and trouble taken is very much appreciated! September can't come quick enough now!! Thank you!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Pompeii - day trips further afield

My pleasure!

And once those revised times are out, do give us a shout if you've still any uncertainties....

Peter

PS: If you've not already found it, for some background to the area where you'll be staying, there's a good leaflet - "Discovering Vesuvius" - to download from....

http://www.costadelvesuvio.com/brocure.pdf

London, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in Pompeii - day trips further afield

Superb! Thank you Peter, thats much appreciated!

10. Re: Staying in Pompeii - day trips further afield

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, August 20, 2013