We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Pompeii to Siracusa - couple of questions

Which Pompeii hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Topic
Train from Pompeii to Siracusa - couple of questions

I'm staying for a week in Pompei and then going on to Sicily.

I know that I catch the Circumvesuviana to Naples and then the train to Sicily but, crikey, the timetables and fares are hard to work out

1. Let's say I leave Pompeii on a Monday morning, can I get to Siracusa the same day? As far as I can see it takes about 8 hours to get to Messina and then a further 2 hours to get to Siracusa (must be a very slow train)

2. If this journey is going to take me 10 hours, is there an early train from Naples to Sicly - like 0600 or 0700? Apologies to all Neapolitans, but I keep hearing that Naples is not particularly safe. Is it safe to wait around the station in the early hours?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
27,780 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Pompeii to Siracusa - couple of questions

The 9.55 Intercity train from Naples to Siracusa takes eight hours 45 minutes. Simply enter Naples, Siracusa and the 'hour' of '9' into http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html to see this for dates before June 10 - times will probably be the same after but are not yet online. It is a slow train, not least because it has to go on a ferry to get to Sicily. There is no earlier train.

But from Pompei (the trenitalia station, not the Circumvesuviana one), you should get the 9.10 local train to Salerno and pick the InterCity up there. Enter Pompei (with one 'i') instead of Naples on http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html to see this connection.

If you want any faster, take a flight from Naples to Catania.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Pompeii to Siracusa - couple of questions

Thank you. I was putting in dates after 10 June and getting no results. Now I know what I was doing wrong

One last thing, I plan to catch the train on November 1 - I see that this is a holiday. Would that affect the timetable of trains?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
27,780 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Pompeii to Siracusa - couple of questions

Shouldn't do, though some commuter lines sometimes have peak hour changes. But you can check for that precise date once times are available online, which they should be several months beforehand. The short availability at the moment is due to changes onto summer timetables, and is not typical.

4. Re: Train from Pompeii to Siracusa - couple of questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 22, 2013