We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth staying in Pompeii overnight?

Which Pompeii hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Exeter, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Worth staying in Pompeii overnight?

I will be traveling to Pompeii from Rome and it looks like a day trip will be quite long. Is it worth staying in Pompeii or even Naples overnight?

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Worth staying in Pompeii overnight?

It depends. A day trip is doable, but if you would like to spend most of a day in Pompeii, staying overnight is not a bad idea. I'd suggest Naples rather than Pompeii itself: you can still get an early start in Pompeii, and there are more things to do and see in Naples.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,175 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worth staying in Pompeii overnight?

Yes. I stayed in Modern Pompei for 10 nights and went to Pompeii ruins for 3 days in 2006. You can get a really early start on the ruins that way. We stayed at Villa dei Misteri Hotel near the Circumvesuviana stop. Venere.com can give you lots of options. We ate supper either in downtown modern Pompei on the other side of the ruins or took the train (30 min) to Sorrento for shopping and dinner.

3. Re: Worth staying in Pompeii overnight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 pm, June 21, 2013