We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How bad is Naples really - if you stand out...

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
KCH
Sydney
Level Contributor
787 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
How bad is Naples really - if you stand out...

I have read a few posts here that Naples can be troublesome for tourists when it comes to petty crime. I know of course about the usual precautions - no visible signs of wealth, money belt etc. But I have a particular concern - I am Chinese (from Australia so can speak English) - would I stand out too much and become a target?

I have been to China so I don't mind a bit of rubbish and dirt! Also I am staying at Hotel Europeo at the city centre - what is the situation in this area?

Hotel Europeo

Via Mezzocannone, 109/c

80134 Naples - Italy

I am really looking forward to Naples. I plan to stay for 3 nights with trip to Pompeii.

Thanks!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How bad is Naples really - if you stand out...

Naples is a bit grubby, but I'm sure you'll cope :).

To be honest, I think I probably stand out as much as you would in Southern Italy, as I'm very very fair skinned with very blonde hair! No one could possibly mistake me for a local. To be honest, even people who don't 'physically' stand out as much are still usually very obviously tourists - you only have to speak or consult a map for a few seconds for any enterprising thief to know you're not a local. In short, I don't think you really have much more to worry about than anyone else. As long as you take sensible safety precautions I'm sure you'll be fine.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,492 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How bad is Naples really - if you stand out...

There are many Chinese immigrants in Naples, even a mini "Chinatown" near the train station Garibaldi with grocery stores and wholesale businesses. There are clothing street stalls run by Chinese in various markets, so it's not like the locals rarely see Chinese. You (or anyone for that matter) will stand out as a potential target only if you flash your gold Rolex and/or look lost all the time, etc.

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,072 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How bad is Naples really - if you stand out...

The Bay of Naples has a considerable number of Chinees imigrants mostly are street traders so I don't see you having any problems.

4. Re: How bad is Naples really - if you stand out...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, August 14, 2009