We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Pompeii/Herulaneum

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Pompeii/Herulaneum

Found a couple web sites on visiting Pompeii. It looks like you can buy what they call a Intact: € 20.00 ticket that allows you to visit 5 sites. Pompeii,Herculaneum and Oplontis, Stabia, Antiquarium of Boscoreale - validity 3 days.

The Herculaneum and Pompeii tickets separately are 11 Euro each. So even if you don't visit the other 3 sites, looks like you will save a couple Euro buying the intact ticket for 20 Euro.

Here's the web sites.

peiturismo.it/index.php?Itemid=28&lang=en

www.pompeiisites.org/index.jsp?idProgetto=2

I know the Circumvesuviana train stops at Pompeii and Herculaneum. Not sure about the other 3 sites.

Are credit cards now taken for ticket purchase? Can they be bought in advance on-line?

Edited: 7:04 am, April 02, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,273 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Pompeii/Herulaneum

Why bother for a couple of euro ?

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Pompeii/Herulaneum

It may be more then a couple Euros, if you visit all 5 sites and don't buy the all in one pass. Not sure what the other 3 sites besides Pompeii and Herculaneum charge for admittance

Edited: 8:34 am, April 02, 2014
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,097 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Pompeii/Herulaneum

It's easy to visit Oplontis and Herculaneum using the Circumvesuviana. To visit Herculaneum forn Pompei you go north on the train for about 30 min and get off at Ercolano Scavi. There are signs and you can easily walk there. Oplontis is even easier. You get on the Circumsvesuviana and go north and get off at the very next stop Torre Annunziata. There are sign there tellin you whihc way to walk to the Villas at Oplontis.

I have read that Stabiae is not easy to get to unless you have a car.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,801 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Pompeii/Herulaneum

No you can't buy online. It is worth getting the cumulative ticket as apart saving money it saves queues at the ticket office - you just go straight in.

A separate ticket at Oplontis is 5.50 euro. The walk from Torres Annuziata is not signposted - I was there only a few months ago and noted this - to get to the villa site you take a left out of the station, then turn right for about two blocks, crossing a Main Street. The villa is about another block away on your left.

Boscoreale is walking distance from the Pompeii archaeological site but it's quite a way - about 2km.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
287 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Pompeii/Herulaneum

What a good idea Kathy

So we will plan to visit Vesuvius then Herculaneum and then on to Oplontis then return to Naples.

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Pompeii/Herulaneum

Just want to put out there, the Circumvesuviana trains can be confusing at times. And we were not alone in our confusion, and we asked employes before boarding. Sometimes got the right directions, sometimes not.

We left Naples for Pompeii last month, thought we were on the right train. It was headed in the right direction as we looked at the stops posted inside the train, as we were making stops on the way.

Then 2 or 3 stops before Pompeii it veered off the wrong way. We had to get off and backtrack a couple stops, and re-board at the junction station, where we could then go on to Pompeii. It didn't cost us anything, just a bit of time.

And we weren't alone, others were backtracking with us. And talked with others who had similar problems on other routes.

Pompeii was fantastic, we were so glad we went, but......

The Circumvesuviana are somewhat uncomfortable to ride. Their not all air conditioned, and they can get crowded at times on top of the confusion on what train to board. And they make a lot of stops.

I hate putting out negative things, but after our Pompeii visit, we went on to the ferry docks at Sorrento, and then over to Capri for a couple days.

The plan was to go back to Sorrento after our stay on Capri. And then take the Circumvesuviana back to Naples, with a stop at Herculaneum on the way. After our experience on the Circumvesuviana on the way there, that planned changed.

We took the ferry from Capri to Naples and skipped Herculaneum. In hindsight, we should have visited Herculaneum and Pompeii on the same day.

Not that I wouldn't ever ride the the Circumvesuviana again. We will when we go back again, We were just so fed up on, we couldn't get back on it again at that particular time.

And yes, as Kathy says, 2K, is a long walk. Take a cab whenever you can, vacation can be hard work at times with all the walking you do.

As far as figuring out the Circumvesuviana, and finding the right train to board. I'm not sure we have it fully figured out yet, maybe someone else does and can post it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
287 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Pompeii/Herulaneum

Thanks Shawn for your comments on the train. We will try and get on the right train. It can be an annoyance when you have a limited amount of time to find you have wasted it by getting on the wrong train. We are slow travellers so hopefully we have padded out our trip to Naples (6 days) with plenty of annoyance time.

Dallas, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Pompeii/Herulaneum

To get the right tren, look for the word "Scavi" in the name of the stops for Pompeii & Herculaneum. "Scavi" means "excavations." There are other trains that go to the current city of Pompeii. Tourists tend to think of only "Pompeii" as the name. Watch out for an express tren which does not stop at Pompeii Scavi.

Turin
Level Contributor
7,105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Pompeii/Herulaneum

This is the Circumvesuviana line that goes to Herculaneum and Pompeii excavations and then goes on to Sorrento

eavcampania.it/web/…sorrento.jpg

I think shawn took the line that goes to Poggiomarino and Sarno.

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Pompeii/Herulaneum

Yes it was that train to Sarno. I thought we were doing well, one more stop to Pompeii. Then it veered off at Torre Annta. I heard the secret to figuring out what train to board, is the train will named by the last stop it makes. Not sure if this is true or not.

If it is, I guess you just make sure your stop is along the way.