We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Pompeii to National Archeological Museum

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Pompeii to National Archeological Museum

I realize that the details of getting from Naples to and from Pompeii have been discussed here at length, so I apologize for what might be a repeat question. However, I am confused about the 2 different train stations in Naples, so I wanted to make sure I understand the directions accurately.

I will be coming into Naples on a cruise ship. My understanding is that to get from Naples to Pompeii, I ride Tram #1 for 2 stops to the Circumvesuviana terminus (Porta Nolana Station). I then take the train that ends in Sorrento and get off at Pompeii Scavi.

After Pompeii, I would like to go to the National Archeological Museum. Here is where I get confused. I can take the Circumvesuviana train back to Naples, but then I apparently have to switch to a different train or a different train station to get to the Museum? How exactly would I do that?

And, while I'm asking, I'm realizing that we'll need to have lunch at some point. We'd love to try some of the well-known Naples pizza. It seems like anywhere near Pompeii is likely to be unimpressive and over-priced. Are their places you could recommend for a pizza lunch near the train station (or stations)? Near the National Archeological Museum?

Thanks so much for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Province of Naples, Italy
Pompeii
Pompeii
Porta Nolana
Porta Nolana
24 Reviews
Naples, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Naples Pizza Hostel
Naples Pizza Hostel
125 Reviews
Naples, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
95,978 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Pompeii to National Archeological Museum

You take the Circumvesuviana back to Naples but get off one stop before the Porta Nolana terminus, called either Garibaldi or Stazione FS. Go up to the mainline Naples Centrale station, and follow the signs for the Metro station. Take Metro Line 2 towards Pozzuoli for one station, getting off at Cavour and then follow the signs for the Museum.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Porta Nolana
Porta Nolana
24 Reviews
Naples, Italy
Pozzuoli
Pozzuoli
QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8,538 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Pompeii to National Archeological Museum

How long are you going to be in Naples? Is it a one-day stop on your cruise or will you be leaving the cruise in Naples and staying overnight? If this is just a stop on the cruise and you need to be back to the ship by early evening, you might have a really hectic day trying to include Pompeii, lunch, and the museum. For something a bit less rushed, you could skip Pompeii and just do the museum,lunch, and perhaps stroll back down to the port.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Pompeii
Pompeii
New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
9,104 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Pompeii to National Archeological Museum

Barbara - all the good pizza places close between 3pm and 7pm. I know this sounds unbelievable but the café inside Pompeii actually has decent pizza and coffee. You may like to drop in and have a bite there so your day won't be so hectic and you can get on your way to the NAM.

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
16,356 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Pompeii to National Archeological Museum

That cafe inside the ruins also has really good espresso (and, according to our 20-year-old, excellent hot chocolate) which we discovered when visiting during the winter last year.

Edited: 1:04 pm, February 01, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Pompeii to National Archeological Museum

Thanks so much for all the helpful advice! This is the first clear explanation of how to get from Pompeii to the NAM I've seen. This is just a one-day cruise stop, but other people seem to have done both Pompeii and the NAM, so I'm hoping it can be done. It would never have occurred to me that the good pizza places would all be closed, and I never would have thought to have lunch at the Pompeii cafe - I'm hoping that doing that will safe us some time so that we can fit both sites in.

Thanks again all!

Barb

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
16,356 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Pompeii to National Archeological Museum

I don't remember exactly how many tram stops there are, but I'm pretty sure there are more than two between the cruise port and Porta Nolana. The easiest way to know is that Porta Nolana is the first stop after the tram makes a 90-degree left turn onto Corso Garibaldi.

It will be difficult to cram both places in and still make it back for your cruise. The ruins at Pompei open at 8:30 AM, if you can make the 8:11 train (reasonable if your arrival time at port is 7 AM) you'll be at the entrance just after opening time.

After four hours seeing the ruins, plus some time to grab a bite to eat (the cafe is pretty close to the entrance/exit near the Circumvesuviana station), you could catch the 1:07 PM train back to Naples, arriving at the Garibaldi station (one before Porta Nolana, where you got the train in the morning) at 1:45.

Allowing yourself about a half hour for the metro ride to the museum, you'd get there around 2:15 PM. Depending on the time you need to be back aboard, you may have two or three hours at the museum.

Circumvesuviana schedule: eavcampania.it/web/…20viceversa.pdf

Mentioned in this post
Porta Nolana
Porta Nolana
24 Reviews
Naples, Italy
Naples
Naples
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Pompeii to National Archeological Museum

I was just reading Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Port book. He says that to get from Pompeii to the Archeological Museum of Naples, we should take the Circumvesuviana back to Napes, get off before Porta Nolana (called either Garibaldi or Stazione FS. But he says we should go down the stairs following Metropolitana signs to get to the Metro station across from track 13. However, Sydneynick says to go up to the main Naples central station and follow the signs for the Metro station. Do we go up or down?

Thanks again for all the help!

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Naples
Naples
Porta Nolana
Porta Nolana
24 Reviews
Naples, Italy
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from Pompeii to National Archeological Museum

Opps - now I'm reading that the Cavour Metro Station is currently closed. Does anyone know how long this will be closed? If I need to get to Metro Line 1, how would I get there from the Circumvesuviana coming back from Pompeii?

Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
9,104 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from Pompeii to National Archeological Museum

You get off the Circumvesuviana at Garibaldi station, take the stairs UP to the concourse where all the shops are, walk about 200 metres along and then take Line 1(down). The metro platforms are on your left along this concourse but are not well signed.

If Cavour station is closed, you can get off at Museo or even Dante and walk the distance. Of course this info may be totally irrelevant due to metro construction work and I'll wait for Elstravels who has been there more recently than me.

Don't forget the NAM is closed Tuesdays.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
16,356 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting from Pompeii to National Archeological Museum

Both line 1 (metro) and line 2 (trenitalia city line) go through the combined station that includes Napoli Centrale (main level) and Garibaldi (lower levels). They (line 1 and line 2) are in different places, so just follow the signs for the one you want. The problem with a book is that they are often outdated before they are even printed. The entire station at Napoli Centrale has been under renovation for several years so things change. The #1 line may not have been completed to the station when Rick Steves wrote his book.

I have not read anything about the Cavour station being closed, where did you see that?

Edited: 5:01 pm, April 08, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Hotel Napoli Centrale B&B
Hotel Napoli Centrale B&B
133 Reviews
Naples, Italy