We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naples in February

London
Level Contributor
385 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Naples in February

I am planning a 7 day trip in February 14 to Naples and Venice. The plan is as follows:

Day 1 Arrive in Naples (base for 5 nights)

Day 2 - Naples and Pompeii

Day 3 - Visit to Capri

Day 4 - Visit to Positano or Sorrento

Day 5 - Visit to Rome

Day 6 - Naples to Venice in train . I think there is a direct train from Naples leaving at 7:50 am

Day 7 - Venice

Day 8 - fly back

Is this iteneary doable in February? I think the temperature would be around 12C but as long as there is not too much rain and the sun is out for 5 hours then we should be fine.

Finally does anyone have suggestion for Indian or middle eastern restaurant in Naples.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Pompeii
Pompeii
Province of Naples, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,332 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Naples in February

Sorrento has store and restaurants open in Feb (not all of them), but I think a larger fraction of Positano is shut own in Feb than in Sorrento,

I have been to Capri in Feb using the hydrofoil from Sorrento (we stayed in Sorrento for 10 days in Feb 2007). We just walked around and enjoyed the glorious weather (for us) and spent most of one day visiting Villa Jovis. I am not sure if Villa Jovis is open i the winter anymore. In Capri a significant fraction of the stores and restaurants are shut down, but we did eat lunch there on 2 days. The hydrofoil runs less often (often only once every 2 hours) and not all after dark (after 5 pm).

Capri in Feb

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
9,061 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Naples in February

Your only issue - apart from the daylight hours - is your day trips. Capri is very quiet - in fact you may struggle to find much open over there in February - ditto Amalfi Coast. If your plans for Capri involve hiking or walking then you'll be fine, depending on the weather.

It's easy to get to Sorrento from Naples but if you want to go to Positano, you'll have to take a bus. They shouldn't be too crowded in February.

As for the restaurants - check the reviews on TA - I've never heard of or seen Indian or Middle Eastern but am sure they exist out there somewhere.

A day trip to Rome? That's ambitious but if you leave early enough and have some plans as to what you want to see then it is possible.

One day in Venice? Seems like a lot of travel for very little time.

Where are you staying in Naples? As your plans involve lots of day trips, your hotel location is important.

Mentioned in this post
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,332 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Naples in February

"Day 5 - Visit to Rome

Day 6 - Naples to Venice in train . I think there is a direct train from Naples leaving at 7:50 am"

Travel to Rome on the afternoon or night of Day 4 by trains and see Rome on Day 5. Leaves from Rome Termini on Day 6.

one day in either Rome or Venice is a waste.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
London
Level Contributor
385 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Naples in February

Thanks

We not into seeing arts and museums. We are more found of sightseeing,general city tour and historic places like Pompeii. That's why a day in Rome and 1 and 1/2 day in Venice. Why you think that might not be enough?

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,332 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Naples in February

rome is a very big place which is loaded with historic sights.. A lot bigger than Naples. I have been to Rome for often 10-12 days at a time and never left the city. In addition Venice is very far away from even Rome so you have to spend nearly 4 hours on a fast train to get there one-way. I have only visited venice once and that was for 10 days. Suit yourself.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Nova Gorica...
Level Contributor
41 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Naples in February

Upon my opinion (I am travel maker) your travel is doable. Pay attention that in February sun set is arround 5.00 pm and try to be in city centers after 5 o'clock as the most beautiful buildings are enlighted by lights (all other non important things remain in darkness.

During the day you shoud visit Capri, Amalfi, Ravello. But Positano by night is spectacular (I am not sure if there are plenty of ligts in February)

Rome - wonderfull after sun set. I always enjoy it in the evening. It is spectacular.

Enprimorc

7. Re: Naples in February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 21, 2014