We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute weekend trip

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Last minute weekend trip

I just booked a last minute, very spur of the moment trip to visit Pompeii. My husband and I will be traveling with our 11 mth old daughter. We arrive in Naples Thursday nov 28 mid morning and leave Sunday dec 1 mid afternoon. I was hoping for dome help planning our itinerary. We will be renting a car. I have not booked a hotel room yet...I was wondering if we should stay in Naples or a smaller town towards Pompeii? We are very budget conscious, but obviously want something safe a family friendly. I was looking for suggestions of what town yo stay in..,

I definitely want to see Pompeii. How long should we plan to spend there? An entire day? Any other suggestions of places with in driving distance to see while we are there? Should we go to Sorrento or spend time in Naples?

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,100 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute weekend trip

So, basically 3 days? I would certainly not get a car since you can't drive in Naples (read up on ZTLs) - it all depends on what else other than Pompei you want to do. I would say that Pompei takes about 4 plus hours - just how long depends on you.

You could visit Capri -www.capri.net - which you can reach via boat from Naples, take the train to Sorrento, go to one or two of the Amalfi Coast villages. Between all that and Naples itself, which could easily take your full time, that is really about all you could see.

I suggest getting a guidebook to see what there is to explore in the area - My Naples/Sorrento/amalfi Coast/islands guidebooks have a world of valuable information that has been very helpful for me when in the area.

You can look over http://www.napoliunplugged.com for some ideas

IF you decide to drive - which, really, you shouldn't - you can easily reach Pompei from Naples via train (the Circumvesuviana) - but, IF you decide to rent a car for the area, you will need an International Driver's Permit which is legally required in Italy (together with your regular driver's license); you get it at AAA offices.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,505 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute weekend trip

I would NOT rent a car and WOULD stay in Naples, with such a short time period. Your arrival morning will be filled with getting to your hotel, unpacking, dealing with a baby with jetlag and having lunch. In the afternoon you could visit the Archeological Museum, which has many, many artifacts from Pompeii. Jetlag will be an issue (it is for me when I visit Italy and I am flying from Oregon), so you may not be able to pack that much into your arrival day - just walk around the fresh air as much as possible.

Friday you can spend visiting both Pompeii and Herculaneum, with lunch in between. Both are on the Circumvesuviana train line.

Saturday you have many options, some of which will depend on the weather. MC loves Capri, but I would spend my time taking the bus and seeing the Amalfi Coast. Really, you can't go wrong but it will partially depend on the weather while you are there. I could never get on a boat, no matter how big, during stormy weather.

A guidebook will be your friend, so buy one or get one from the Honolulu library.

Level Contributor
780 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute weekend trip

There is no real need for a car, though having one would make the Amalfi coast a breeze, and it is beautiful (and a pain by public transport). A car is a no no in Naples.

Naples is scruffy, but I did not get the impression it deserved its reputation for being dangerous especially. The must see if you are interested in Pompeii is the museum, which has the murals (fantastic) and artefacts from the excavations.

We stayed in Pompeii. Hotels have free parking mostly, and are good value. It is very safe if touristy, and quiet once the crowds leave (ie not for night life). With a car you could drive up Vesuvius from there, or as I said do the coast.

4. Re: Last minute weekend trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 01, 2014
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question