We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private boat from Naples to Capri

Ormskirk, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Private boat from Naples to Capri

Arriving in Naples end October on RCI. Would like to take a trip to Capri but would like to avoid hydrofoil & ferry as despite arriving on a cruise I get very seasick. Does anyone know of any private boat options, there will be six of us in total.

I know it takes 40 mins by hydrofoil, any idea the time it would take by private boat? Don't want a tour or anything, literally get on boat at Naples, off in Capri and return.

Helicopter would be perfect but then that involves travelling to airport which seems silly when cruise ship is so near boat/ferry transfers.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,485 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Private boat from Naples to Capri

I don't know of any (I am sure you aware that this will cost hundreds and hundreds of euros) - anyway, you could check some of the boat companies on the site below - you can email them your inquiry:

www.capri.net

Not sure why you think a private boat will make you less seasick than a ferry or hydrofoil -

Ormskirk, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private boat from Naples to Capri

I don't think I will be less seasick, just think its less embarrassing throwing up in front of an audience as opposed to my family. Plus thought private boat might be quicker. I am better on a hydrofoil than a ferry but concerned that weather/sea conditions end of October won't be great.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,993 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private boat from Naples to Capri

Motorboat transfers are possible, but I would have thought this would be far worse than the hydrofoil (50 mins) or ferry. See http://www.capri.com/en/rent-boat-capri

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,485 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Private boat from Naples to Capri

It's tricky - because if you book a private boat and the weather is dreadful (not unheard of at that time of year), you would probably be stuck paying for all or a big portion of a cancelled private boat.

I was there two years ago for 7 days (on Amalfi Coast) and had overall beautiful weather (last full week of Oct) but there was a full 24 hours of a horrendous storm - wind, heavy downpour, etc - Capri would not be fun in that weather at all.

I went over to Capri from Positano on a small motor boat - it went very fast - wasn't much fun because it was so fast and it was hitting the waves really hard - I would have preferred a less intense ride over - and that was on a clear, calm day.

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private boat from Naples to Capri

You will presumably have been taking anti-seasickness medication all the time on your cruise anyway, so will be protected to some extent already. I would have thought that you would be considerably more likely to suffer from seasickness on a smaller boat, particularly if the sea is at all choppy. And if a small boat was quicker than the hydrofoil, it would be travelling very fast and probably producing an extremely bumpy, uncomfortable ride! I think you could be making a big mistake here.

I'd be inclined to dose yourself up and go on the hydrooil or ferry if the weather is good. If the sea's at all rough, it probably would be better to give up on the idea altogether.

6. Re: Private boat from Naples to Capri

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 12, 2014