We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to run in naples

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
Level Contributor
15 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Places to run in naples

I'm going to be in naples a few days in September, right in the middle of a marathon training plan. Could anyone recommend some areas to run? I'll be staying in the historic centre. I'd be looking for somewhere where traffic wouldn't be an issue, if that's possible in naples. Thanks!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,400 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to run in naples

I know the perfect place - if you follow Via Toledo down to Piazza Plebiscito, cross the piazza - you will see the pink royal palace on your left. Further on is a park, also on your left and up ahead you will see the water. When you get to the waterfront, turn right and start your run along the path that hugs the water, past Castel Dell Ovo, past the big park - Villa Comunale - and all the way to Mergellina which you will see in the far distance. You will see many other runners especially if you go early.

Not only is it a great run, it's also scenic in both directions. Coming back you'll see Vesuvius all the way.

It's all a flat run - if you want to add some hills, once you get to Mergellina you could head up one of the roads nearby and back down again to the water. Just don't lose your bearings as the roads down that way are very windy.

Edited: 6:53 pm, August 12, 2013
2. Re: Places to run in naples

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:19 am, September 08, 2013
Dublin
Level Contributor
15 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to run in naples

That's perfect. Thanks so much for your detailed replies and suggestions. Now I have no excuse!

Edited: 12:34 am, August 13, 2013
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to run in naples

Hi Divinity123,

we will be staying in the historic center/Spanish Quarter in January as well and my husband is in training for the London Marathon 2014. Maybe you could put a quick note on how you found the running there please, that would be great !! we travel a lot and he runs anywhere and everywhere ... Kathy W's post sounded really interesting. Have a great trip :-)

Dublin
Level Contributor
15 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to run in naples

Just back, managed to get 7 runs in naples and capri. The best place to run in naples is along the waterfront ( thanks Kathy W!). This is where all the locals run, particularly in early morning and evening when the temp isn't too high. It's relatively flat and traffic free for about 2.5 miles. If you run on the road and cycle lane, you can avoid the hard pavement, and save the legs a bit. After 2.5 miles, you'll need to run on the pavement, as the roads gets busy, and it starts to go uphill too. The best option is to do out and backs along by the water.

Naples is full of traffic, so it's amazing to come down here and find almost none! There is a nice onshore breeze, very welcome on a hot day, and there are plenty of kiosks to buy water at. The views of the bay are amazing, with Vesuvius in front of you as you turn back.

If anyone wants garmin profiles, let me know and I'll post them. If you go to capri, be prepared for hills!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,400 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to run in naples

Hey Divinity123 - glad you got your runs in! The waterfront is a great place and yes, you have lots of company.

I wish people would understand this more - that Naples is full of NORMAL people doing normal things, like going for a run in the morning, rather than all the hoo-ha about scooter bandits and robberies on every corner.

I'll be there again in a few weeks and looking forward to my run too - will need it to keep the pizza flab away!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to run in naples

Hi Divinity123,

thanks a lot for sharing, I was hoping you would put on a trip report re running :-)

I will print it out for the husband, many thanks to Kathy W for the detailed directions !!

8. Re: Places to run in naples

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, September 19, 2014