We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disabled tourists and Solfatara

Walsall, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Disabled tourists and Solfatara

I wonder if anyone can help us.We are due to visit Italy very soon and will be staying in Naples.A friend of ours has suggested we visit Solfatara.My wife however has to use a wheelchair,Does anyone know whether the area is suitable for disabled users to visit.

Thanks a million

CHP47

Italy Limousine
Taxis & Shuttles, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Archaeology Tours, Private Tours
Leisure Italy - Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Archaeology Tours, Private Tours, Rail Tours
Amalfi Coast Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,267 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Disabled tourists and Solfatara

The website might offer some hint about your question - there are photos and you might be able to email and ask - that is, if no one here has an answer for you.

http://www.solfatara.it/vulcano/en/

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
239 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disabled tourists and Solfatara

It's been a few years since we last visited Solfatara but from memory I think the terrain was pretty uneven so it might be a bit uncomfortable for a wheelchair user.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,966 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disabled tourists and Solfatara

This tour says folding wheelchair is possible but it is necessary to be able to walk short distances: toursales.com/Solfatara-Volcano-and-Ancient-…

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disabled tourists and Solfatara

Seems that we've been there six times in all! As I recollect, once beyond the campsite, the area over by the more active part of the crater may not be the easiest of places to maneouvre a wheelchair, with some stretches of the paths being fairly sandy - although I believe that there are ways to bypass all of those, staying on firmer ground.

Certainly isn't impossible...

I rang the office to check, and they say it's straightforward - and here's the gist of a notice that appeared earlier this year, roughly translated:

"The Association Pro Handicap organizes tours with the help of the van with a platform lift for disabled people with motor deficit. The purpose is to allow people in wheelchairs to enjoy the beauty of archaeological and landscape of Campi Flegrei. For the first weekend of April: Saturday, April 6th visit to Solfatara Volcano, Sunday, April 7 visit to the Archaeological park of Terme di Baia."

www.casertafocus.net/caserta/index.php…

Pictures of mine if you use the link at the end of this post!

If you'll be visiting Pozzuoli, there's also a quite marvellous amphitheatre - some half mile back towards the town from the Solfatara. With a wheelchair, the parts above ground are accessible, however access to the underground area is via a fairly long series of shallow steps, which their office say isn't usable by people in wheelchairs....

Very sad that, as it's almost as good as the corresponding part of the Colosseum - but with rarely any crowds, or time pressure on your visit!

Picture of the steps as found the internet - not mine:

visitingtheancients.com/blog/…CIMG0674.jpg

... that's part of this very nice write-up of the ruins...

visitingtheancients.com/blog/…

Guess that only leaves the question of how you'd get there? With your own transport, some other things and places are also possible....

Boscoreale and Oplontis:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187785-i421-k37…

Benevento, a lovely provincial capital - far removed from the general list of most tourists...

tripadvisor.co.uk/…47856327

And, in Sorrento itself, a Dali exhibition seems have been running for a while now without attracting any comment here on TA, which you might enjoy - open until 29 September 2013...

sorrentotourism.com/en/the-dali--universe-.p…

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/flegrei

Walsall, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disabled tourists and Solfatara

To everyone who replied to my question thank you very much- your advice and suggestions are most helpful.I will certainly use your ideas and suggestions.

thanks a million

CHP47

6. Re: Disabled tourists and Solfatara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 09, 2014