We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naples to Pompeii + Herculaneum + Paestum in one day?

Trieste, Italy
1 post
Save Topic
Naples to Pompeii + Herculaneum + Paestum in one day?

I will visit Napoli in this August, and I am wondering if I can spend one day to visit Pompeii, Herculaneum, and Paestum. If not, which one do you think I should drop? People said that Herculaneum and Pompeii are not too much different. So maybe I should drop Herculaneum?

Also, is Paestum served by Crcumvesuviana train? You know, because to reach Pompeii and Herculaneum ruins from Napoli, we need Circumvesuviana train, not ordinary train (it can but we have to walk far). So I am thinking if Paestum is also served by Circumvesuviana, that would be great. I would use it to Paestum, and then on the way back, I will visit Pompeii and/or Herculaneum (or the other way around). I check in trenitalia.it, there is a train from Napoli to Paestum, but I don't know if that is Circumvesuviana or not.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Sorrento
Level Contributor
601 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Naples to Pompeii + Herculaneum + Paestum in one day?

The circumvesuviana is going around the Vesuvius. Paestum is served by trenitalia and Pompei and Ercolano by the circumvesuviana, private local train

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
4,465 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Naples to Pompeii + Herculaneum + Paestum in one day?

Visit on the same day Herculaneum, Pompeii and Paestum seems a too dense program. Having said that, you can also reach Pompei with Trenitalia (ie, the Italian State Railways) trains. The Trenitalia station in Pompei (where stop almost all regional trains that go from Naples to Paestum and vice versa) is in fact about a mile away from the main entrance to Pompeii ruins, but it's only 600 meters from "Amphitheatre" entrance. Please read the full discussion (and look at the quoted maps) at the topic:

tripadvisor.com/…49880556

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Naples to Pompeii + Herculaneum + Paestum in one day?

Since it will be August and thus very hot, I would suggest Herculaneum over Pompeii. Herculaneum is fascinating and quite compact, it only takes a couple of hours to fully see it.

Pompeii is huge and the various things of interest within the site are very spread out. It requires a LOT of walking and a lot of time (far more than a couple of hours). And there are very few places within the site where you can get relief from the summer sun.

You might also consider a visit to nearby Villa Oplontis. It is small but quite wonderful!

Good luck.

Edited: 10:54 am, July 03, 2013
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Naples to Pompeii + Herculaneum + Paestum in one day?

Thanks to the "gappy" train service on some routes in our region, you may find it best to do something along these lines:

- from Naples, take a morning Regionale train from Napoli Centrale to Paestum, at either 07:20 or, more comfortably, 08:30. The next one, not till 11:55, takes over 2 hours... rather than 80 or 90 minutes!

Shortish walk from Paestum station to the temples... see them, and the museum, and have lunch - by when the trains back will have started again - with departures at 14:06, 14:41 and 15:41 (then 18:01), all reach Pompei's Trenitalia station in about an hour..

That's marked in red, as simply "Pompei" on this map, and is fairly handy for the site's "Piazza Anfiteatro" entrance....

www.unicocampania.it/files/mappe/pompei.pdf

From the time you'd arrive there, you'd then have some four hours until the shared summer closing time of the various Pompei sites, 19:30.

After seeing the archaeological remains, leave by the western exit, for the Circumvesuviana train back to Naples, from "Pompei Scavi" station.... shown in orange! A rushed visit might let you see one of the other sites as well, but do note the "last entry" time, some hour or so before closing?

As an itinerary, rather too long spent at Paestum, perhaps - however I doubt you can realistically squeeze in, or do justice to, a third site.... just about possible with a car maybe, but less likely if using a combination of trains, buses etc?

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

5. Re: Naples to Pompeii + Herculaneum + Paestum in one day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 05, 2014