We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mmm mozzarella

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Topic
mmm mozzarella

Hello,

My main reason for travelling is to eat amazing authentic/traditional/local/handmade when possible food. Mom-pop places are the best in my opinion.

Could someone please suggest a few must trys in Naples?

Looking for some great dairy products, particularly Mozzarella (from cow milk not di bufala).

Any great places for smoked or baked ricotta?

Best espresso? sweets? gelato?

and most importantly? which pizza place is best da Michele or Sorbillo?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: mmm mozzarella

My wife and I will only be in Napoli for 2 days but maybe we can somehow make it to agerola for a quick taste lol

thank you so much once again .. I hope that you get all this help in return

If you ever need any tips for New York, feel free to contact me

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
374 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: mmm mozzarella

Basically almost every supermarket and grocery sells it! ;)

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
374 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: mmm mozzarella

p.s. 1) there are so maaaaany kinds of fiordilatte, be careful with the one you'll choose! :D Ask for its origin, and try to have the one from Sorrento or (if possible) Agerola.

p.s. 2) I don't recommend to go to Agerola just for fiordilatte, if you can have it in City :D Naples has so many treasures which deserve to be seen by tourists, moreover, going to Agerola just for fiordilatte-tasting may be very stressing! :S Of course, if you wanna go there, I cannot stop you! ;)

Edited: 8:17 pm, May 10, 2013
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: mmm mozzarella

You are best!

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
374 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: mmm mozzarella

C'mon, I'm just a Neapolitan who knows Naples! ;)

Anyways, I have other recommendations about coffee-bars I totally forgot to mention in my previous posts...

- Il Caffè di Napoli: it's a nice place located in the starting point of Corso Umberto, the commercial road starting from Piazza Garibaldi (the Central Station square).

- Il Bar del Professore: beware, in Naples there are several fake "Bar del Professore", but the one and only is located in Piazza Trieste e Trento (the square next to Piazza del Plebiscito). It's particularly famous for its elaborate and high-glycemic coffees!

- Bar Mexico: it's located in Piazza Garibaldi, not the the nicest location in the world then, but still they make the best coffee in Naples.

And also about pastries-shops...

- Carraturo, located in Via San Biagio dei Librai, also known as Spaccanapoli (not to be confused with this Carraturo, which is a different place, located in a very ugly part of Naples tripadvisor.it/Restaurant_Review-g187785-d23… );

- La Sfogliatella Mary, located in the Galleria Umberto I (next to Teatro San Carlo and Piazza del Plebiscito)

Some useful tips:

- if you go to Il Bar del Professore, try to avoid the external seats: because of the location, they'll charge you a lot of extra-money! Actually everywhere in Italy they charge you extra-money if you choose to have a coffee outside a bar, but this one is especially famous for its high prices. Also Scaturchio has a pretty high extra-price on external seats, but considering the high quality of what they offer and the nice disposition of their tables, it's still a good bargain. ( http://www.ilverobardelprofessore.com/ and http://www.scaturchio.it/ )

- If you're coming in late-Spring or Summer, I recommend you to try a kind of breakfast (or mid-afternoon treat) that just the locals know: iced-tea mixed with lemon granita and accompanied with a brioche. Brioche is a word that in France and in Italy is used for many pastries, but in Southern Italy, especially in Naples and Sicily, this is a brioche: …flickr.com/2745/4408224207_e092d78152_o.jpg . There no filling in the inside, but it's really a delicious treat.

- Again, if you go to Scaturchio (I guess that now you really wanna go to Scaturchio) I recommend to taste also "ministeriali", mini-cakes made with chocolate and liqueur. It's one of the best things I've ever eaten, for real. ( cibando.com/blog/…DSC07010.jpg ). They are made only at Scaturchio, so if you wanna try them you have to go there. :D

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
374 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: mmm mozzarella

Ehm, I also have another traditional trattoria to suggest: "Mangia e Bevi" ("Eat and Drink"), located in Via Sedile di Porto (between Corso Umberto and Via Mezzocannone, which is a long street linking Corso Umberto and Piazza San Domenico Maggiore)...it's one of the best trattoria in Naples, and it's also extremely cheap. It's not as famous as La Campagnola or Nennella, but it's quite a hidden gem.

Now I guess that I have mentioned all the places you could like, although I could remember even more names! ;)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,070 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: mmm mozzarella

re Bar Mexico, it also has a location in the much more pleasant Piazza Dante. Thanks for the detailed lists; I am happy that I've been to many of the suggestions!

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
374 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: mmm mozzarella

Yeah, it's true, Bar Mexico has also a branch-bar in Piazza Dante! Anyways it's good that you've been to many of these places...you're a true Neapolitan then! :D

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,070 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: mmm mozzarella

I'm working on it, Kuroneko, although I am reminded of what a counterman at a bar in Naples said to me-that he had wanted to visit New York, but then found out there were too many Neopolitans there!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: mmm mozzarella

Too many good places, not enough space in the stomach and time to get to them all :((

I wish that there were more people like you to answer the same question with regards to Bologna and Florence....

Kuroneko... What Italian city has the best food overall in your opinion... I'm curious to know what you think because you sure do know how to eat

Our Roman friend is coming to meet us in Naples... I wonder what he'll think of my list :D