We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are those fried pizza dough balls called?

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,334 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
What are those fried pizza dough balls called?

Sorry for the clumsily worded question - but when I was there (Naples) in December/January, my friend and I ate these delicious balls of fried dough made from pizza dough. They had a drizzle of a tomato based sauce on top. They were served as an appetiser plate/entree along with rice croquettes which were also amazing.

I want to cook them here but I have NO IDEA what they're called. Until I can find that out, I can't search for a recipe.

Any ideas out there??? Grazie!

Edited: 2:44 am, March 15, 2013
Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,179 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are those fried pizza dough balls called?

Were they coccoli? I don't think they need to be served with tomato sauce, it could be ham or cheese.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are those fried pizza dough balls called?

Not sure where they're from originally (if anywhere?) but names differ by region, town, village - from family to family even...

At our local pizzeria here, and also in the restaurant down the road (where they often add chopped cauliflower florets), those are called simply frittelli - little fried things!

Whilst, over on the far side of the Sorrento peninsula...

…typepad.com/my_weblog/naples/

With Google, try a search for: frittelle salate napoletane

... but do also look for another version - zeppoli, or sometimes zeppolini - which you'll often see being served as a treat, dusted with sugar!

Peter

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are those fried pizza dough balls called?

In Naples, they are called pasta crescuita (grown/risen dough). This is part of the antipasti plate you get with an assortment of fried goodies. As the person above noted, they are called different things in different regions & sometimes even in different towns, but the batter is usually referred to as "pastella."

In Ravello on the Amalfi Coast, I've heard them referred to as Coccoli - here is Mamma Agata's recipe, with herbs:

…typepad.com/my_weblog/2012/12/neapolitan-he…

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,334 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What are those fried pizza dough balls called?

Thanks to all of you - your variety of answers are spot on and exactly what I was looking for. The fritelle salate napoletane turned up all sorts of information - even youtube tutorials - so thank you all, I can now go search for the right flour....wish me luck

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
106 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are those fried pizza dough balls called?

There are two ways to call them in Naples: "paste cresciute" (plurals of "pasta cresciuta"), and "panzarotti". Both names are commonly used. Someone calls them "frittelle", but this is the italian word for them, used but less common in Naples.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
161 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What are those fried pizza dough balls called?

Where I'm from, New York City and Fairfied County Connecticut, we have what's called pizza fritte. It sounds like what the OP's describing. If they're not the same, please let me know.

Studio City
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What are those fried pizza dough balls called?

Thats exactly what they are, fried Pizza dough, make a dough, but not too dry, drop them in Hot oil, drain, you can stuff them with broccoli rabe, mozzarella, any, it Naples, they make them with sea algae, that would be hard to find. My Mother calls them Pizze, but some call them Zeppolini's.

Studio City
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What are those fried pizza dough balls called?

Drop them by the spoon full , do not handle with hands.

9. Re: What are those fried pizza dough balls called?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 27, 2014