We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

concerned about the safety in Naples

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
240 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
concerned about the safety in Naples

I will spent 4 nights in either in Naples or Sorrentor. For the convience, Naples is better than Sorrentor as we will fly out in Rome.( also we will visit Pompeli, Sorrentor, or Amalfi if still get enough time), I am not sure how safe is the Naples once we arrive. We will carry luggage instead of backpack.

As we are 2 Asia female, tiny and short, very worried we are easily identified and become target of being robbered. I read many stories about people are robbered by the scooters in day time (assume we already take precaution against our valuabe things, money under the safety belt, return to hotel before 6pm etc).

Can somebody give me advice? It is a tough decision.

1. Re: concerned about the safety in Naples

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:49 am, June 10, 2013
Midlands England
Level Contributor
372 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: concerned about the safety in Naples

I hated Naples, but found it perfectly safe.

OTOH sorrento is lovely and a very good hub.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
15,171 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: concerned about the safety in Naples

We stayed in Sorrento for a week a year ago because we wanted to make day trips to the Amalfi Coast, Capri, and Pompei and felt that Sorrento was more central. However, the reality is that the road leading into Sorrento is narrow, winding and clogged with traffic, which translates into slow, slow, slow.

While Sorrento is lovely, in my opinion there's not much "there" there. I much prefer Naples, with so much to do, so many places to see. I have stayed there alone for a week at a time, in an apartment, and never felt unsafe. I love the energy of the city, and the masses of students who keep the place lively.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,854 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: concerned about the safety in Naples

I agree about Naples; I like it and do not care for Sorrento - no surprise there are different opinions.

If you take the usual precautions regarding your personal belongings, you should be just fine. But, I will say - if you still feel nervous and think you will continue to be nervous while you are there, you may want to choose Sorrento - not because it is actually safer but just because it's no fun to go somewhere and feel anxiety.

The way you describe yourself is pretty much what I am - small female solo traveler - I take myself everywhere pretty much on my own as that is my preferred way to travel and I keep my stuff very close to me, never putting a bag down on an empty chair in a cafe, or anywhere out of sight - etc - and I feel perfectly fine.

I suppose small(ish) women could see themselves as a target; I don't view myself that way, but that's me. I use the same precautions there as I do living here in NYC and wherever else I travel.

Do what you think will make you most comfortable and allow you to relax and enjoy your trip.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: concerned about the safety in Naples

My wife and I were in Naples last Spring and Believe me it is safe. We are Chinese and stood out. You have to be alert and aware of your surroundings. Do not lose your composure. Walk with confidence. We were almost picked pocketed in Paris and we caught the gypsies and spent two hours at the Gare De Lyon Police station helping the Police with the criminal charges against them. We are from Canada and did not felt threatened in Naples.

In two weeks time we will be there again.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,189 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: concerned about the safety in Naples

I like both Naples and Sorrento very much and for very different reasons, but Naples poses no risk other than easily avoidable pickpocketing, a crime of opportunity that evaporates if you do not provide the opportunity. In Sorrento, by contrast, you could leave your bag on the street for an hour and it would likely be there when you returned.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,243 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: concerned about the safety in Naples

I have not been hurt or robbed during daylit hours in Naples, only harrassed. On the other had I don't like doing to Naples and do so only for transport connections. In 2007 we spent 10 days in Sorrento and it clean, beautiful, and loaded with great shopping and restaurants. No concerns about 2 women walking alone at night for dinner or shopping.

If you do decide to stay in Naples, there is no reason to visit Sorrento though unless you think there might be superior shopping. In Sorrento you can safely shop until 9 pm and walk back to your hotel or the Circumvesuviana stop.

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,934 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: concerned about the safety in Naples

No concerns from myself and my friend - two women walking around the streets of Naples at night. We were in the Santa Lucia neighbourhood but walked along Via Toledo past the Piazza Plebiscito and along the Lungomare to Mergillina - all after dark - no problems at all.

9. Re: concerned about the safety in Naples

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 01, 2014