We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visting Pompeii and Positano from Naples stop from Cruise

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
14 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Visting Pompeii and Positano from Naples stop from Cruise

My husband and I are going to stop for a day at Naples on December 6, 2013. We will be in Naples from 8 am to 6 pm. We wish to visit Pompeii but would also love to visit Positano. The excursions I have seen that covers these are very expensive and we thought we could try this on our own.

What would anyone recommend as to how to get there from the port, bus or train? What route to take, possibly Pompeii first? Where to have lunch? What nice place to hang out in Positano with the beautiful views?

Eichstätt, Bayern...
Level Contributor
720 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visting Pompeii and Positano from Naples stop from Cruise

Hi MelbaLajara,

you can do this using public transportation.

From the Cruise Terminal / Port you will want to reach the Train Station "Napoli Centrale", to reach it from the Port you can either take the "Tram #1" which stops right before the Cruise Terminal and goes to "Piazza Garibaldi" about 200 yards across from the Station. Otherwise you can also take the Alibus which goes to the Airport, passing by the Station (separate ticket for €3). Or you could take a taxi, besides the metere fare, you can also opt to have a fixed fare from the port to the station (€10.50) taxi.it/download/…tariffe_taxi_napoli.pdf

From the Station you can then take the "Circumvesuviana" train in direction "Sorrento" www.vesuviana.it This line passes by the excavation site of Pompei "Pompei Scavi - Villa dei Misteri", if you continue on to "Sorrento" you can connect to a SITA Bus to Positano. sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5070.pdf

My personal suggestion would be to first visit Positano, have lunch either there or in Sorrento, and to visit Pompei on the way back. That way if you are short on time, you can cut the visit to the site a bit shorter, in order to be back in Naples in time for your ship (I know that on Costa Cruises or MSC, passengers should usually be back on board 1/2 hour before scheduled departure time at the latest - it should be written at the gangway when you leave in the morning, I imagine that it would be similar also for other cruise lines).

For the tickets, the Tram (and busses - except Alibus) in Naples, the Circumvesuviana and SITA, are all part of the UnicoCampania Consortium for the tickets. http://www.unicocampania.it/index.php?lang=en

Besides the flat fares for Naples, the Taxis also offer flat fares for a tour of the Amalfi Coast, with no time limit for €220 (see the same link as above).

You might also like to join on TAs sister-site Cruise Critic. The forums there are very helpful on how to organize private shore excursions at (often) a better price than those offered by the cruise line.

You can also join a "roll-call" for people on the same cruise as you, where you can organize excursions together (again to get better rates), if there is a good number of forum members on board, there will usually be organized a "meet-and-greet" in one of the on-board lounges, with some free bubbly offered by the Cruise line in that occasion.

Please note - that all timetables and prices are referred to the current situation, and might see modifications in the time up to December.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
14 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visting Pompeii and Positano from Naples stop from Cruise

Thanks very much for the detailed information. It has been very helpful!

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
13,828 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visting Pompeii and Positano from Naples stop from Cruise

I would reconsider Positano - in December it's going to be very, very quiet there.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
14 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visting Pompeii and Positano from Naples stop from Cruise

I dont mind quiet if it still will be beautiful. Or is it only nice during warm weather? Will most places be closed up? Can you tell me a little what I might expect?

Thanks for your help!

Melba

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,706 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visting Pompeii and Positano from Naples stop from Cruise

I was in Positano a few weeks ago. It may be 'off-season' but there were plenty of shops and restaurants open. In fact it was a blessed relief from the insanity of high season (I was also there in September and it was like the NYC subway at rush hour).

Pack a fold-up umbrella as showers appear out of nowhere. We were drowned in Amalfi - seriously drenched - by a sudden downpour.

You have been given some great advice re public transport options, however your time is limited, so if you have the budget, spend 70-100 euros paying for a private driver and car. They will get you to Pompeii in half an hour, wait for you, then take you to Amalfi Coast and back to the cruise ship by your designated time. I always use these guys when in Naples www.worldtours.it and believe me, being driven around in an air conditioned Mercedes is preferable to the sardine can Circumvesuviana train. But as I say, it depends on your budget.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,137 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visting Pompeii and Positano from Naples stop from Cruise

There are always some restaurants open year round (it alternates each year) - and some shops will be open (people do live there) - but, much will be closed. I really like it in the off season - it is free of the crowds and just really enjoyable.

I would suggest you might consider waiting until you arrive as you may arrive in bad weather - if you are only taking public transportation to wherever you decide to go, that's fine but if you book something, be sure you are not committed to it if the weather is not good.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
14 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visting Pompeii and Positano from Naples stop from Cruise

Thanks so much for the advise and information!

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
14 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visting Pompeii and Positano from Naples stop from Cruise

Thanks very much. I will check it out to see prices!

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
14 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visting Pompeii and Positano from Naples stop from Cruise

Does anyone know whether there are audio guides to rent in Pompeii? Are they any good? How much willl a guide charge once in Pompeii to take a small group?

Eichstätt, Bayern...
Level Contributor
720 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visting Pompeii and Positano from Naples stop from Cruise

Audio guides are available (English, Italian French, German and Spanish), price seems to be €6.50 for one, €10 for two.

www.pompeiturismo.it/index.php…

There's also this somewhat older (2011) thread from CC about the audio guides, and human ones: boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php…