We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two Centro Storico Hotels in Naples - Help Me Decide

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
244 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Two Centro Storico Hotels in Naples - Help Me Decide

Usually I can read about a hotel and get a "gut " feeling whether it is a good fit for my husband and I. Not so with the Decumani Hotel de Charme and Palazzo Decumani. I have read all the reviews on both - some more than once. I'm just not sure. Here is our situation.

We are returning to Naples to celebrate my 55th birthday/Xmas in Dec 2013. I am looking for a nice hotel in the Centro Storico that is a little bit special. It doesn't have to be extravagant, but I want a hotel that is a relaxing break from the hectic vibrancy of the historic center. And, most importantly, I want a hotel in a convenient area that is safe.

Here are what I see as the pros and cons of each hotel:

Decumani Hotel de Charme:

Pros: 1. Located near Santa Chiara - few blocks from Via B. Croce 2. Very helpful staff

Cons: 1. Bit of a grimy entrance but nice inside 2. Breakfast has a lot to be desired 3. Some complaints regarding the showers

Palazoo Decumani:

Pros: 1. Located near Via San Gregorio Armeno (Christmas Alley) 2. Very helpful staff

Cons: 1. Too contemportary decor 2. Well-come drink (too touristy?)

For those of you who are more familiar with Naples than I, which location is better? Although they are very close to each other is one location safer at night? Is one location better during the Christmas season? Does one neighborhood have better restaurants?

Thanks!

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two Centro Storico Hotels in Naples - Help Me Decide

Sorry, don't know the hotels but do know the town and the neighborhoods. Both are fine, from a security standpoint.

I have an apartment I stay in when in Naples, but before I found it I stayed several times at the Hotel Mediteraneo, which is the Marriott property in Naples. Usually I avoid American owned hotels in Europe, but this one is very Italian (I ran into Berlusconi in the lobby one day a couple of years ago). I like the location a little better than the two you are looking at, and the breakfast, while expensive, is vast and the view from the rooftop restaurant is fabulous.

If you have Marriott points to use, all the better!

marriott.com/hotels/…

2. Re: Two Centro Storico Hotels in Naples - Help Me Decide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 01, 2014