We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best deal

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
2 posts
Save Topic
best deal

were a family of four and would like to go from Rome to Amalfi coast were on a budget just for a day i know the train would be the cheapest but what about a driver ?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,524 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best deal

From Rome? Yikes! That WILL be expensive.

I would suggest you take the high speed Trenitalia train from Rome to Naples. It's super-fast and takes only a bit over an hour. Then get your driver to pick you up from Napoli Central Station for the Amalfi Coast trip.

Just make sure to tell the driver/tour company you use that you don't want to be waylaid visiting coral factories, cameo factories and expensive places for lunch as they tend to do this (mind you, if you do want to do these things, then they will certainly take you). You are the customer so tell them what you want to see - just let them know in advance.

I have used these guys twice in the last three months www.worldtours.it - and they are really flexible and reasonably priced. Hope you have a great time - it is a magnificent place.

Boston...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: best deal

Thank you so much

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,095 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best deal

You can't see the Amalfi Coast by train, only by car, bus or boat.

It would make for a very, very long day trip from Rome.

Trenitalia goes from Rome to Naples, then you go downstairs to the regional train (Circumvesuvian) to Sorrento. The Sita Bus stop is there for transport up the Amalfi Coast.

If you opt for training it to Naples and have a driver pick you up, here's a thread showing a selection:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187782-i162-k5184…

Edited: 9:35 am, January 30, 2013
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,612 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: best deal

It will take roughly 4 hours to get there from Rome via public transportation, maybe even longer depending on when you go as if you go in high season, the traffic is horrendous on the AC drive and slows everything down.

If you were take a car service from the Naples train station, it would take about 1.5 hours to Positano (the first of the AC villages) and another 40 minutes (give or take) onward to Amalfi - This on top of the 70 minutes fast train Rome to Naples, plus getting to the train station and being there about 15 minutes prior to your train, etc - all adds up.

You would be looking at around 8 hours plus just in transportation time. Personally, I wouldn't do it but you may not mind all that.

A car service all the way from Rome to the AC would be around 400 euros (about $535.00 in today's exchange rate) - one way - maybe even more these days. I don't know anything about 2013 prices.

5. Re: best deal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 01, 2014