We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Sorrento, Ravello, Positano, Amalfi

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
427 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Sorrento, Ravello, Positano, Amalfi

I've so far spent 5 days in Rome, 5 days in Florence exploring Tuscany then I'll be going to Naples this Tuesday for 3 days. I've reserved a visit to pompeii immediately after checking in my hotel at around noon. I have one full day the next day to spare before going back to Rome on Thursday. I'm quite interested in seeing Sorrento, Ravello, Amalfi and Positano. My questions are:

1. Is this possible using the train and/or ferry and/or bus? I don't think I'll be willing to shell out a huge sum to hire a private car.

2. If it's possibile, how do you suppose I go about this or what would be good intinerary?

3. Wth your suggested itinerary, what would be some recommended activities or sites not to be missed?

Thanks in advance for your feedback and suggestions :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,737 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Sorrento, Ravello, Positano, Amalfi

No boats this time of year to the Amalfi Coast from Sorrento or Naples.

You can take the approximately one hour local train ride on the Circumvesuviana (local train, downstairs at Napoli Centrale station) to Sorrento from which you can just decide to stay in Sorrento or right at the train/bus station, catch the SITA bus to the Amalfi Coast. It will take roughly 1.25-1.5 hours (depending on traffic could be more or less) to Amalfi. At Amalfi, if you wish to go to Ravello, you need to change to another bus which will take 20 minutes up to Ravello.

You could choose instead to go as far as Positano (about 30 minutes) from Sorrento, do some exploring - return to Sorrento, explore then return to Naples.

OR: you could take the ferry over to Capri from Naples, explore then ferry to Sorrento for late day/evening time from which you can then take the local train back to Naples.

Trying to do the full AC and Sorrento is one day is really not happening - the time involved in just getting from one place to the other takes up far more time than you might think.

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Sorrento, Ravello, Positano, Amalfi

@MomCat...many thanks gain for the suggestions. I might just do Sorrento and Positano.

"You could choose instead to go as far as Positano (about 30 minutes) from Sorrento, do some exploring - return to Sorrento, explore then return to Naples."

-Did you mean Naples-Sorrento-Positano-Sorrento-Naples or Naples-Positano-Sorrento-Naples?

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Sorrento, Ravello, Positano, Amalfi

You will have to do train to Sorrento - bus to Positano -bus return to Sorrento and then train back to Naples. I agree that will be a full day trust the weather is good ! ( You catch the bus to Positano outside Sorrento station, buy ticket for bus at kiosk and validate it in machine on bus.)

Edited: 3:19 am, December 02, 2012
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,737 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Sorrento, Ravello, Positano, Amalfi

I meant, Naples to Sorrento to catch bus to Positano, explore Positano then return via bus to Sorrento and explore Sorrento then at the end of the day/evening in Sorrento, hop train back to Naples.

There are two bus stops in Positano - one (the first stop you will make from Sorrento) is higher up in the village and could be a very nice intro to the village and about a 20 minute walk (or more, given you will probably stop and ooo and aaahhh) down to the seaside.

But, when returning back to Sorrento, I suggest getting the bus back from the La Sponda stop (which is not as high up on the road and anyone can easily point you in its direction) because that is the first stop for the bus as it comes from Amalfi on its way to Sorrento. You just never know how busy - in even in the off season - the buses might be and you are more likely to get a seat on the bus if you catch it at the La Sponda stop.

When going towards Positano from Sorrento, if you can, get a seat on the right side of the bus for the views and, of course, on return, try to get a seat on the left side for views.

Have fun!

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Sorrento, Ravello, Positano, Amalfi

Oh Wow! That's great information indeed. The weather forecast doesn't look too promising in Naples at the moment but I'm hoping it'll still change. Many, many thanks for the help...appreciate it!

Texas
Level Contributor
479 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Sorrento, Ravello, Positano, Amalfi

I'm sort of sidetracking this thread for a moment.....based on this:

You can take the approximately one hour local train ride on the Circumvesuviana (local train, downstairs at Napoli Centrale station) to Sorrento

We are coming to Naples on a cruise ship on Tues Jan 22 and then again on Fri Feb 1. (A back to back cruise) If we were to take the train as described above, probably on the Tuesday visit, ...how often does the train run Naples to Sorrento? Do you have a scenic ride, or would a tour car be better to see the whole beauty of the coast? Then, could we just wander Sorrento for the day and then take the train back to Naples for evening departure? Thanks

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
310 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Sorrento, Ravello, Positano, Amalfi

TxGramma - you can judge for yourself about the scenery on the train:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utKzvr-iw38

Texas
Level Contributor
479 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Sorrento, Ravello, Positano, Amalfi

Thanks. That's pretty bleak. We'll find a car or van tour. I appreciate the response.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,737 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Sorrento, Ravello, Positano, Amalfi

I don't find the ride from Naples to Sorrento in a car all that beautiful either - just a part of the ride is nice - the rest is pretty average.

If the car is not in your budget, the train will suffice. It is a commuter train so it runs pretty often - don't know exactly how often but it makes a lot of stops as one would expect from a commuter train.

You can use this site to get an approximate time ( it is in Italian but pretty self-explanatory):

http://www.vesuviana.com/web/it

If you want an excellent, car service - I highly recommend the one I always use: Guemar Travel. You can email them at info@guemartravel.com and they will respond to you quickly to answer your questions.

Have a good trip....

10. Re: Day trip to Sorrento, Ravello, Positano, Amalfi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 am, December 17, 2013