We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naples or Sorrento? Late December 2012

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,706 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Naples or Sorrento? Late December 2012

I'll be in Campania late December with a friend. So....do we spend New Year's Eve in Sorrento or Naples?

I haven't booked a hotel anywhere yet but don't want to leave it too long.

I've been to Naples before and loved it's gritty beauty - but have never been to Sorrento so ..... would love some advice.

Thanks!

1. Re: Naples or Sorrento? Late December 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:42 am, March 26, 2013
Edited: 9:42 am, March 26, 2013
UK
Level Contributor
3,187 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Naples or Sorrento? Late December 2012

Here is a calender of Christmas/New Year events in Sorrento from last year. This year's has yet to be published.

milluminodinverno.it/calendario-eventi-sorre…

The English translation button on the page does not work for me (Firefox or IE) so try putting the link into Google Translate.

If you are interested there is stuff about the celebrations on YouTube. Usual mixed quality!

Edited: 6:41 am, October 27, 2012
Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,706 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Naples or Sorrento? Late December 2012

Woo hoo this looks awesome!!!!

Can you also advise me - what is the weather like? I've heard it's really rainy and cold at that time of year. Does it snow? Will I need a heavy duty coat? I'll be staying eight nights. Thanks for your help!!

UK
Level Contributor
3,187 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Naples or Sorrento? Late December 2012

Who knows what the weather will bring this year, the record books keep getting rewritten! Yes it could rain and it will be cool at night. On the other hand you could have dry sunny days but still cool at night. Here are some monthly averages

weather.com/weather/…ITXX0073

Dressing in layers under a waterproof coat is much more practical than lugging round a heavy duty one, you can add or subtract as needed. A hat, scarf and gloves will help a great deal if it gets really nippy. And smart leather boots but maybe not for sightseeing!

Edited: 7:39 pm, October 27, 2012
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,849 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Naples or Sorrento? Late December 2012

I was in Sorrento twice in Feb (2006 and 2007) It did not get down to the freezing point of water. It rained on some days.

Normal high lows are 56/41 DegF (14/5 deg C)

www.wunderground.com/NORMS/DisplayNORMS.asp…

Cold and nippy depend on what you are used to. Where I spend the winter 56/41 Deg F is springtime temperatures and you see men wearing cargo shorts to the grocery store.

pictures fron Feb 2006/7

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,706 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Naples or Sorrento? Late December 2012

Am replying to my own post. We ended up spending NYE in Naples on the Lungomare bayfront. Yes, the fireworks were everywhere, exploding over our heads even, anarchy on the streets but oh - what fun and what an experience.

And you know what else? It was safer than Sydney - why? Because there were no drunk, belligerent, dangerous weirdos roaming the streets looking for a fight - like Sydney. The people in Naples set off their fireworks, had some fun and then went home. Our hotel was right on the firework central zone and we were not disturbed by any noise at all after 2am.

I'll never forget this NYE ever - am so glad we didn't opt for the 'safety' of Sorrento.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Naples or Sorrento? Late December 2012

That sounds like a lot of fun! Thanks for sharing.

8. Re: Naples or Sorrento? Late December 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 19, 2014