We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shoulde USD be offered/accepted as tips

Narragansett, Rhode...
Level Contributor
53 posts
290 reviews
Save Topic
shoulde USD be offered/accepted as tips

Traveling to the Naples Region next week, just wondering if cab drivers/baggage handlers, (not restuarants) accept or can be tipped in US Dollars rather than Euros?I realize that Euros are the preffered currency

Thanks Bill

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: shoulde USD be offered/accepted as tips

What year is this?

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,710 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shoulde USD be offered/accepted as tips

The days of using US dollars in Europe to pay for anything are long gone. This is a new world we live in.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,493 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: shoulde USD be offered/accepted as tips

Especially in light of what the dollar is worth vs the euro and would anyone in the U.S. accept foreign currency instead of dollars?

Yes - those days have been gone for many (many) years....

Narragansett, Rhode...
Level Contributor
53 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shoulde USD be offered/accepted as tips

Thank You all, glad I asked

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: shoulde USD be offered/accepted as tips

Well, that was the view from one side of the Atlantic...

As you've appreciated, the Euro is our currency here - however it's unlikely anyone would be too dismayed by receiving a gratuity in dollars, which will most certainly be preferred over nothing at all!

Now the season here is drawing towards a close, people are making their own travel plans - often including a reciprocal visit to relatives in places where dollars can be spent...

Peter

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,243 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: shoulde USD be offered/accepted as tips

I would not even try to give anyone USD's while in Italy.

In Italy, there is generally no need to tip anyway. That's the part you have to make sure you understand.

UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: shoulde USD be offered/accepted as tips

"In Italy, there is generally no need to tip anyway,"

Are you sure about that? When I am in Hong Kong, I always tip the taxi driver who takes me to the airport. So what makes you think that tips are not cool in Italian culture?

Sorry my friend, you are wrong on this one. In Italy, money greases the wheels and makes the world go round. USD is accepted (as another poster stated, it is better than nothing).

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: shoulde USD be offered/accepted as tips

No, it's the equivalent of paying/tipping in euros/Canadian dollars/Mexican pesos in a US restaurant. If the payment was very large, maybe someone would find it worth accepting to go to convert it all, losing a lot of money along the way Very unlikely.

You pay in credit card or euros. The "old days" that many of us fondly remember of the strong dollar being welcomed all over the world are long since past.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,797 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: shoulde USD be offered/accepted as tips

Tipping is not required, though rounding up is fine. You will get laughed at if you try to use any currency other than the euro.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,193 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: shoulde USD be offered/accepted as tips

It's true. Tipping in Italy is nowhere near as common nor as generous as in the US. This topic is discussed constantly on all travel boards I've seen.