We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naples to Capri excursion

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glyfada, Greece
Level Contributor
36 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Naples to Capri excursion

Hallo!

We are arriving to Naples on a cruise on 25th August. We will stay from 8 to 17:00.

We have been in the area before and seen Pompeei, Sorrento and amalfi coast. So, what are our options?

We are thinking to visit Capri, but we want to be sure that we will be able to be back on time to departure. (The ship offers an excursion, but it is very expensive). How can we do our trip by our own? Or are there any available excursions from Naples port?

Any advice/opinion is more than welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Naples to Capri excursion

Hi again!

Kalimera (generally, on Ischia, spelt with a "K", although that's rather unusual for Italians) is most definitely a place.... a small agricultural village in the Serrara-Fontana comune, up in the hills on the southern side of the island, that stretches to where the biancolella grapes are grown for this...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/137063445

However, it's probably better known as the starting point of the island's annual soap box derby....

http://garadelcarroccio.it/tag/carrocci/

... though it's also the name someone here in Ischia Ponte has given their fishing boat, one of the last to be going back into the water...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/137063457

Procida is lovely! Think you'll find that all the hydrofoils and ferries that go there will then continue on to Ischia - so you needn't decide which island to visit until the last moment....

But if you go, do try to get there - and up to the Terra Murata - reasonably early, since the Abbey shuts very promptly at lunch time!

We gave a few links etc that may be useful back here..

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187785-i421-k43…

... but I'd better add - or repeat - that the lovely Marina Corricella is usually a baking-hot suntrap by midday in August!

After a decade of meandering round the city, we finally spent a morning on the Naples HoHo buses last September, and had a wonderful time!

You'll find some photos from that day amongst these...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/mainlynaples

I've written about it several times, but most recently here - which should contain the answers to your other questions!

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187785-i421-k46…

I'd certainly consider it... although, since they're not very frequent, you'll probably not get back on very often once you've hopped off!

www.napoli.city-sightseeing.it/orari_na.pdf

A good way to get your explorations started, and allow you to see that the city streets aren't quite as scary as some would claim!

Hope you'll have a great day, whatever you choose....

Peter

Campagnano di Roma...
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Naples to Capri excursion

The hydrofoils for Capri leave from Molo Beverello which is a short two minute walk from the Naples cruise terminal. Just walk out the the terminal and cut diagonally left across the parking lots and taxi ranks and you'll readily see it. There are currently nine departures between 8 in the morning and noon so you shouldn't have any problem getting to the island.

Regarding Calimera, the Calimera that I'm aware of is a town in the Province of Lecce originally settled by Greek colonists down on the heel of the Italian boot. It's a nice town to visit with a population of around 7000. The local dialect is distinctly Greek with a few modern Italian words thrown in.

Glyfada, Greece
Level Contributor
36 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Naples to Capri excursion

Thank you so much for your answers!

I was wondering about Calimera or Kalimera because it means "Good morning" in Greek and it sounded strange for the name of a place.

I hope this is my last question. Do you know from where I can take the HOHO bus? Is it close to the cruise ship pier?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Naples to Capri excursion

The HoHo base is very near the port!

Have a look at reply #3 in this - but do give me a shout if that's not clear....

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187785-i421-k46…

Peter

PS: For Italians, the letters J, K and Y are all a little unusual!

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
49 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Naples to Capri excursion

Our cruise ship docked in Naples just for the day, also. Since we'd already done the Amalfi Coast/Pompeii excursion on a prior cruise, we decided to do Capri on our own. A very short walk from the cruise ship to the hydrofoil which takes you to Capri. Once there, we purchased tickets for a ride to the Blue Grotto - it included a BEAUTIFUL boat ride and a lengthy wait in the boat awaiting the small grotto boats. The wait didn't seem too long because views were spectacular and the anticipation was so great! I've never seen anything like it - phenomonal! We rode the funicular and walked the captivating streets of Capri & enjoyed a delicious Caprese Salad at a sifewalk cafe. No problem returning to the cruise ship with time to spare. We had a great time. Tho if I had to make the choice, I think I'd choose the Amalfi Coast/Pompeii - what breathtaking vistas!

16. Re: Naples to Capri excursion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, November 07, 2012