We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

National Archaeological Museum--is audioguide good?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
17 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
National Archaeological Museum--is audioguide good?

Has anyone recently used the audioguide at the National Archeological Museum in Naples? I have read poor comments about it (from publications about a year old) saying it doesn't cover many of the best objects and hasn't been updated in years. I'm wondering if the renovated display of main collections that I've been reading about has sparked an improvement in the audioguide.

Also, does anyone know how the museum layout has changed? I can't find any specifics on the museum website or elsewhere. My husband and I are going in May and I want to prepare as best I can for where to find things (it's mainly the large sculptures that I'm confused about) and good commentary on them. We're not interested in a guided tour.

Thanks for any help.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,425 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: National Archaeological Museum--is audioguide good?

it is hit or miss what you might be able to see on any one visti to the Naples Archeological Musem

tripadvisor.com/…26952502

Exhibits can be empty because they are on loan or being restored. Sometime whole rooms of half of the exhibit can have this happen at one time. The Fresco room might or might not be open the day you go. It was locked the day I was there and I have seen more of the frescoes when they were on loan in Rome and Minneapolis than I did in Naples.

Given the hit or miss condition of the collection, I can't imagine the audio guide being any better.

2. Re: National Archaeological Museum--is audioguide good?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:21 am, March 12, 2011