We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights/Train - please help

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Flights/Train - please help

My wife and I will be in Sorrento for 4 day and traveling to Florence. I imagine I will have to pick up transportation in Naples. How long is the train ride vs. flying? Is it fairly easy to book plane tickets? Thank you!

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights/Train - please help

There are no direct flights from Naples to Florence, you will have to change in Rome and it takes about 3h 30 mins...

www.alitalia.com There is a bus service from Sorrento to Naples Airport (www.curreriviaggi.it/) at 06.45 08.30 10.30 12.00 14.00 16.30, bus need 1h 15 mins.

By train, you can catch the Circumvesuviana train (suburban service) (http://www.vesuviana.it/inv/a62.pdf) which takes about 1h 5mins. to Napoli Garibaldi (which is the subway station of Napoli Centrale). There you change to a Trenitalia-train.

www.trenitalia.it

ES (EuroStar) trains, which are the fastest trains only need 3:36 for Naples-Florence and are much cheaper (even in first class) than flying... so catch a train, it's easier, faster and less stressful!

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights/Train - please help

... and you save the environment by using a train :-)

Chicago
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights/Train - please help

Thank you Robbi - what website can I use to book the EuroStar? RailEurope.com

thanks again!

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights/Train - please help

No! Definately not Raileurope, they will charge you a much higher fare!

Nearly all trains in Italy are provided by Trenitalia (former State Railways):

ES (Eurostar Italia) is their high end product followed by ICplus (Intercity), EC (Eurocity... same like IC but goes abroad), IR (InterRegionale)....

Go to www.trenitalia.it --> English on right top of page

You can buy your ticket online (Naples-Florence), you print your confirmation, that's it... just show it to the conductor. You can buy your ticket also at Naples station (not Sorrento, as the train Sorrento-Naples is private run) or for a little fee at a travel agency.

The fare Napoli Centrale - Firenze SMN is € 42,35 in 2nd class, € 63,01 in 1st class. (raileurope quotes USD 67 = € 54,63 2nd class + shipping fees). As Sorrento - Napoli Garibaldi (subway station of Napoli Centrale) is a commuter train, get your ticket just before you go.

Chicago
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights/Train - please help

Robbi - you've been most helpful. One more quick question (2 parts) - are the first class seats reserved? Since I'll be on my honeymoon I'd obviously liked to sit next to my wife. Should I book the tickets soon or wait unitl I arrive in Italy? Your help and detail is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights/Train - please help

Eurostar bookings include a free reservation (in 1st and 2nd class) and you are not allowed to board the train without reservation.

If you know when to go, just buy your tickets online at www.trenitalia.it (switch off your pop-up blocker). It generally should not be a problem to buy a ticket just before you go, but most crowds go on Friday and Sunday...

Train travel is something very usual in Europe, most people (me too) do not plan it days before, they just get a ticket before they go.

Buy your tickets online or when you arrive... all the best to you and your wife!