We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport advice

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Crewe,Cheshire
3 posts
Save Topic
Transport advice

Hey All!

Just returned from Naples (it's 16:06, flight arrived 13:24!) for the second time, and again, i'm gob-smacked. Naples is dirty, loud, alien but 100% amazing. This time we went to sorrento on the Amalfi Coast which was beautiful, however I believed that it was a little too touristy. I've always loved Naples itself, it has so much about it, people aren't bowing at your feet trying to cater to your every need, they're simply living their lives as they want. The transport system looks a bit daunting at first, but it's easy as pie! The easiest way is this if you're only going to be travelling within naples itself you should buy a UnicoNapoli ticket. Just go to the blue machines (you can select english under the Lingue section) on most stations and select the all day ticket (weekend ticket is for Sat. & Sun. but is only ONE day not the whole weekend!). it's 3 euros. Then simply hop on a bus or metro and voila! your'e there. Remember though, the ticket is not valid unless you put it into the grey and yellow machines on the bus or platform. If however you are traveling outside of Naples city (for example Pompei or Sorrento) , then you can buy exactly the same card but the UnicoCampania, which allows travel in the whole of Campania, this ticket is slightly more (not exactly sure how much at the mo though!). Then get on the train (e.g. the Circumvesuviana) and you're away!. Oh and by the way, if your feeling like a nice little walk, try getting the Metro to Mergellina, walking to the harbour then turn right. Keep walking and you will find the Funicolare to Vomero, Take it up and then you can walk around vomero for a while. There is quite a few shops and bars up there, and some of the views are fantastic. Then take the funicolare centrole (or something like that!) to toledo, heading right to Plebstico. There is a lift here that takes you to Via. Acton. From there you can take a tram up the road, with it finally stopping at piazza Garabaldi. It is a really nice trip, and some of the sights are beautiful. Well, sorry about the essay. Hope You all enjoy/enjoyed Naples!

Ryan

Louisiana
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport advice

Thanks! This helped alot. We will not get into Naples until after 7pM and need to get to Sorrento. Is this a good way?

Sedona,AZ
Level Contributor
6 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport advice

Ryan, this is fabulous advice. Do you happen to know how to get from the cruise-ship dock to a train station that will connect to the south bound circumvisuviana to get to Pompeii or Herculean?

Maybe a taxi is best?

Thanks in advance.

Lynne10

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport advice

There's a tram outside the port - sorry I didn't remember it's number - maybe 1? Not sure. But don't worry: locals will help you. Just try some italian words (Stazione Centrale), and they'll show the correct tram for you.

vancouver
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport advice

Ryan,

Really appreciated your posting as I am heading to Naples after a few days in Rome. Is Naples safe for a female travelling alone? Suggestions on where to stay?

I have heard similar comments from friends about Sorrento. How many days were you in Naples? willow

staffordshire,englan...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport advice

hi willow

this is not ryan

im afraid its his mum and travelling companion. with regard to travelling alone in naples i am returning in the next couple of weeks and will be alone this time.i wont be afraid the key is just to keep your wits about you (the same as you would need to in any strange city) and try to avoid the dock area, by this i dont mean the part where the big cruisers come in i mean where the actual working port is its not the nicest of places we found ourselves there on our first trip by mistake and me being a single mum travelling with 2 children i found it a bit hairy!!

ryan and i have spent just a couple of long weekends in naples and we absolutley love it with a passion enjoy im sure you will!

staffordshire,englan...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport advice

hi again willow sorry just read the rest of your question we just stayed in a beatuiful hotel in the centre of old naples it has been reviewed on the forum its called HOTEL DIMORA SANT ELGIO nothing was too much trouble for them and i will be staying there when i go back on my own.if you do stay there request your breakfast on the terrace its lovely x

staffordshire,englan...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport advice

hi jjlicd, again this is ryans mum not the man himself! the circumvesuviana is the best way to get to sorrento the journey takes around 45 minutes and the last train leaves naples at 11 something pm enjoy!

vancouver
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport advice

tizzlewizzle: thanks for your reply. I look forward to touring Naples! willow