We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italy Trip to Naples and Rome - ideas?!

liverpool
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Italy Trip to Naples and Rome - ideas?!

Hello All,

This website is great for finding out allkinds for your holidays!!

Me and my boyfriend are going to Italy on the 29th June, i have wanted to go to Italy more than anywhere for what seems like forever so i am really excited!!

We are going for 9 days, and are set to visit Rome and Naples and surrounding areas, we are visiting Rome for 3 nights and due to this great forum i have found the best places to go, the best maps and how to get to places, my boyfriend wants to see the Stadio Olimpico - being an avid football fan (Liverpool) and was wondering if anyone knew of any tours round it as it is out of football season now!?

Also, we are going to Naples for 5 nights, we are staying at the Ramada Naples, ive read things about the central station being really unsafe, should i be worried staying there!? Lastly, where would be the best places to go, we were thinking Ischia, Capri, Sorrento and Mt Vesuvius, are any a waste of time!? im also a little confused by all the trains, what to book and reserve before etc. argh!! we are getting the train from rome to naples through italiarail which i hope is the best idea!?

hope peeps can help!! thanks :)

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Italy Trip to Naples and Rome - ideas?!

Your best deal on train tickets would be to wait to buy them when you're in Italy. Italiarail has a pretty big markup. If you go to the train station when you arrive in Rome, you can buy the tickets from a multilingual ticket machine or from the agent. Try to get the Amica fare, which can save you 20% on selected trains, if you buy before the day of travel, although it can sell out even earlier.

The stadio olimpico is a bit out of the center of town. If I had only two full days in Rome, I wouldn't bother with that, but I'm not a football fan. I don't know of any tour there, and I'm not sure you can get in at all when there isn't an event going on. You can get there by taking the metro line A to the Flaminio stop, and then take the number 2 tram to Piazza Mancini, the end of the line.

While you're in Naples, all of the places you mention are worth seeing. I don't know if you're interested in ancient Roman history, but Pompeii is also nearby and certainly worth a visit. You might want to go a bit south of Sorrento to see the Amalfi coast. You could take a bus from Sorrento to Amalfi, maybe stopping off in Positano, or you could take a boat trip to Amalfi.

Actually, for the places you want to see, you might consider staying in Sorrento instead of Naples. There are good bus, train and boat connections from Sorrento.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italy Trip to Naples and Rome - ideas?!

For a 5 night stay in Naples, I don't think you'd want to stay near the train station. Consider instead the Piazza Bellini area, which is much nicer and near a metro station (thus it's easy enough to get to the train station for trips out of town).

Here are two possibilities.

The number 1 rated hotel in Naples, according to TA users:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187785-d646334…

This B&B I stayed in just recently and wrote a review for. I believe a double room here will cost you only 80-90 euros a night.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187785-d564…

Good luck.

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
51 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Italy Trip to Naples and Rome - ideas?!

Ciao kristb,

you can phone directly to the head of the marketing dept. of AS Roma (+39 06501911 stefano de alessi or andrea caloro) for the Olimpico Stadium guidedtour, I suggest you not to say your boyfriend is a fan of liverpool, bad memories for them :-)

If you are interested I could organize for a tour in napoli stadium S. Paolo, as I used to work with them a couple of years ago and still have some friends there; I don't suggest you to stay in the railway station area (horrible and not very safe) so if you can cancel your booking; b&b bellini is a good solution as well as b&b miseria e nobiltà or cameraconvistanapoli, in the same area (historical center); a lot of things to do in the historical center, places to stay for a beer or good music (yust ask to the manager of any B&B in that area, mostly of them are young people happy to show you and suggest you the places where we neapolitan used to go during the night); you must go to vesuvio and pompei or herculaneum as well as one of the islands of the gulf even for a day excursion (I suggest you procida)............. last thing: live the city and put your eyes upon every building of the historical center, breath our cahotic atmosphere, is full of energy.......... have a nice stay in my amazing city!!

liverpool
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Italy Trip to Naples and Rome - ideas?!

Thank you all for your help,can i just ask bvlenci...what amica fare is, can i get that online or at station in termini!?

thanks very much jjkdc for the piazza bellini suggestion too, i have read all the reviews, cancelled my previous napoli train station hotel booking and opted for there!!

thanks you also napoletanoverace for your info about the stadio olimpico info as i cant find anything about it, him being determined to visit every stadium in europe as well helps a lot, i will surely give them a call, would be great to tour napoli stadium too as we are there for 5 days and im sure he'd like to squeeze that in, i sense i have sort of taken control of our holiday!!

thanks again for all your help :)

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Italy Trip to Naples and Rome - ideas?!

Kristb, the Amica fare is a 20% discount that's available in limited numbers *if* you buy your ticket before the day of travel, and if it's not sold out. It's not available on the cheaper trains, the ones without reserved seats. Since the numbers are limited, it's best to get the tickets at the earliest convenient time.

You could try getting them on the internet:

www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

Sometimes they have problems processing credit cards. If so, wait until you're in Italy, but get them as soon as you get there, either at a train station or at a travel agent. The stations have multilingual ticket machines, or you can go to an agent. You have to tell the agent you want the Amica fare, as they generally won't suggest it themselves. There's no guarantee you'll get it, and, as I said, on some trains it's not even available, but it never hurts to ask.

midlands
Level Contributor
24 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Italy Trip to Naples and Rome - ideas?!

Hi

Dont know about the football stuff.

We just did the train from Rome to Naples then caught a boat from Naples to Sorrento then another to Capri.I loved Capri it is very touristy during the day but if you can stay overnght the atmosphere totally changes its gorgeous.There are amazing things to see Roman villas etc lovely places to eat and unlike many places in Southern Italy it feels safe and secluded.

Sorrento was a huge disappointment I wouldnt go back its very touristy with little soul

Hope this helps and contact me if you like with any questions Rome is fab by the way

Claire

midlands
Level Contributor
24 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Italy Trip to Naples and Rome - ideas?!

Sorry forgot to say always do the first class rail deal its not much more but the trains run more reliably

Claire

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Italy Trip to Naples and Rome - ideas?!

Clurina, first class arrives at the same time as second class, as it's always on the same train. There are some trains that have second class only, but there are none that have only first class.

I always ride second class, unless there are no seats left in second class. The few times I've been in first class, I could hardly see the difference.

I do think it's worthwhile to pay extra for a more modern and faster train (ES or AV), but I consider first class a waste of money.

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
51 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Italy Trip to Naples and Rome - ideas?!

Hi krist,

I realize that maybe you will be in naples for the 8th of july too: it would be incredible!! there will be a great concert in the stadium, one of the most famous neapolitan singer (he is an international artist!!) Pino Daniele, he is coming back in naples after maybe ten years he moved away; for us he is a mith; I will go there, of course I buyed ticket two months ago (Euro 30,00), it will be the biggest event of the year for every neapolitan; if you are interested to music give a look to http://www.neapolis.it/ it's a rock music convention, there will be the R.E.M. and Tom Smith with the Editors too the 23th of july and the 17th Massive Attack, but I think you will have already left naples.....

ciao,

10. Re: Italy Trip to Naples and Rome - ideas?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, September 27, 2009