We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hercualeaum or Pompeii

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hercualeaum or Pompeii

My wife & I will be staying in Praiano at the beginning of June and will not have access to a car. We want to go to at least one of these sites. Is it possible to see both in one day or is one more interesting (better preserved, more interesting buildings, less crowded) than the other. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks,

Andy

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hercualeaum or Pompeii

Pompeii is very big, virtually a whole town has been excavated. Its worth a day to itself, having a lot to see. Theatre, amphitheatre, gladiators barracks, 2 sets of baths, forum, etc..

Herculaneum is much smaller, largely because the extent of excavations is limited because the busy town of Ercolano is on top! Whilst there is less to see here, the buildings are in a better state, some having upper storeys intact, and there is some carbonised furniture to to be seen. A half day trip, perhaps.

Personally, if you you are at all interested in such things I'd recommend visits to both, whilst you are there.

Remember that a comfortable pair of walking shoes is essential for your trip, surfaces are very uneven in these places!

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hercualeaum or Pompeii

Thanks for your help - we'll try to hit both.

3. Re: Hercualeaum or Pompeii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, September 27, 2009