We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nightlife in Naples

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
Nightlife in Naples

My husband and I will be in Naples 25/06 - 29/06, staying in the historic area. We're super excited!

Anyone know of some good hang-outs for local rock/punk/metal type music within walking distance? Any good local shows coming up that week? What about good spots for hanging out late at night for people watching? Any nightlife tips appreciated. Thanks in advance!

~L

Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nightlife in Naples

Dear princessofpapaya,

For rock/punk/metal/thrash/hardcore/emo/etc, you might find a few places to at least people-watch in the Centro Storico district near Via Tribunale and Via Mezzocanone near the University of Napoli. In general, even from Mezzocanone down to Piazza Dante on either Via Librai or Via Tribunali you'll see locals sitting around near/on the monuments, on the benches, etc. In the Centro Storico District, the closer you get to the University (front is on Corso Umberto, back is up from Mezzocanone) the more stores you see which might advertise any local shows for upcoming Saturday nights.

On Friday and Saturday nights, Piazza Bellini is a good place to be because it's popular enough with people of all ages (there's the Music Academy around 90ft away) and economic backgrounds yet it's busy enough so you won't stand out. Another popular piazza at least during the day is Piazza San Domenico Maggiore right behind the University of Napoli. In fact, you might ask any of the locals there or in the nearby shops about punk/metal/etc shows. The street heading down away from Piazza Bellini is Via San Sabastiano which is home to a couple of music stores like Acustica and Loverli. There you can stop in and just ask anyone inside for leads on where to see some shows.

You can also look at the Napoli-section on the following link. The majority of clubs are in the Centro Storico District, however, some might have closed up:

utenti.lycos.it/campaniarock/locali.htm

Buona Fortuna...

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nightlife in Naples

Ah perfetto! This information is exactly what we were looking for. Grazie mille!

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
51 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nightlife in Naples

Hi princess...

I suppose I'm still on time to give my little contribute as you will travel next june:

first of all during that period mostly of historical center locals, pubs, winebar, nightplaces, will move to other places on various beaches (arenile di bagnoli or pozzuoli or varcaturo); it's not easy to get there without a car and without a neapolitan;

maybe you can reach cittàdellascienza during the day as one of my suggested tour (http://www.cittadellascienza.EN/) and then remain to arenile beach(it's a fantastic place) it's yust beside cittadellascienza;

however in the historical center I suggest you to go in Piazza Bellini (lot of places), via Bellini (Mutiny), via cisterna dell'olio-yust back piazza del gesu- (one disco Velvet underground, one reggae bar with music Kinky Bar, one soft music bar yust close to the Velvet), via S.Sebastiano- yust opposite to S. Chiara Basilic- (Rising South, very strange place music-disco-bar): this are all places where we neapolitan usually go;

if you want to move to another zone of napoli more bourgeise(chiaia) you will find a lot of places in a triangle known as the "movida napoletana" between via belledonne, via cavallerizza and piazza s.pasquale (you will discover a lot of, yust walking all the narrow streets in that area).

Have a funny time in napoli!!

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
51 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nightlife in Naples

I forgot to tell you there are some events in that period, yust look at www.concerteria.it; it is a pity you will miss the concert of the year at the stadium S. Paolo of napoli: our napoliborned famousest artist (international) Pino daniele, but on 8th of july, of course I already buyed the ticket!!

I suggest you to go to listen Vasco Rossi in Salerno (about one hour from napoli) on 28th of june!!

If you are looking for some music shop you must go to "fonoteca" in via cisterna dell'olio, yust close to the Velvet Underground.

Ciao...

Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nightlife in Naples

For anyone who's a Pino Daniele fan, as napoletanoverace mentioned Mr. Daniele's performance at Stadio di San Paolo in July 2008 would be one of Napoli's most notorious concerts. Pino Daniele to Napoli Stadio di San Paolo could be like what peanut butter is to jelly, the Carolina Hurricanes are to RBC Center, what C.O.C (I date myself) was to 14-A Turner Street. To note, Pino Daniele's music would not fall into the category of local or garage rock/punk/metal.

Also, as napoletanoverace mentioned, I agree and tend to think that some of the aforementioned clubs in Chiaia would be a bit more for those out to dress and impress/see and be seen than some of the music clubs near Piazza Bellini and Via Sebastiano. However, I guess in Napoli everyday/night is when it's good to see and be seen as Napoletani are famous for their friendliness(nevertheless, exceptions such as cruel and mean Napoletani definitely do exist).

I'm shocked that Vasco Rossi chose to play at Salerno Stadio Arechi as opposed to San Paolo in Napoli (bigger, more modern). As a warning, the restrooms in Stadio Arechi in Salerno remind me of what maybe people used in ancient times so one might prepare oneself by bringing tp/kleenex and maybe some packaged wet hand wipes. Also, I think that people will be standing during the whole concert in the upper levels with seats like a Greek Theatre. Anyone with low stamina might consider sitting in the area with seats nearer to the field on the bottom level.

Buon Ascolto...

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Nightlife in Naples

Thank you both very much for the additional info!

Since the thread came back up, I'll mention that I also heard recently from an American who used to live in Naples a few years ago, who told me his favorite places to hang out for nightlife were some bars around Piazza Dante and some Irish bars near Piazza Medaglie d'Oro. He couldn't remember the exact spots though.

A sly analogy on your part, kkushiba1, seeing that I live in Raleigh (home of Carolina Hurricanes) haha.. they certainly are a big sensation here! Fortunately I've managed to remain unscathed (have NOT caught the hockey bug... yet at least) :)

7. Re: Nightlife in Naples

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:21 pm, September 23, 2009