We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime in Naples

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Crime in Naples

I'm going to Naples next week and I've since read some scary stuff about the area in relation to crime. In particular, the area around the Piazza Garibaldi was mentioned as a bit of a no-go area at night, which is particularly worrying as that is where my hotel is and I'm going to be on my own!

Does anyone have any tips/advice please?

Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crime in Naples

Dear drunkenmaster42 (I saw the original 4 times),

I think if you're not wearing gold jewelry ( a wedding ring is ok) or a nice Rolex-type watch, you can greatly lower the risk of getting robbed.

In general, you probably will spend more time outside Piazza Garibaldi. These tips might or might not be handy for getting back to your hotel at night and you're free to use or chuck them. If you have a good sense of direction, when it's time to go back to your hotel you can take a bus or metro back to Piazza Garibaldi and then walk quickly to your hotel, looking like you really can't be bothered. If you aren't great with finding your car in a large parking lot, you might write down on a piece of paper your hotel's address and a big landmark like "behind the statue of the man on a horse on a cement block" or "left of all the huge construction mess," etc. Then you might think about either taking the bus or metro back to Piazza Garibaldi, whip out your directions, and then follow them, carrying an attitude that you need to get to your hotel right now/yesterday. If this wouldn't work, you might frequent a very busy/popular tourist area that night and then when it's time to go back to your hotel, you could find a taxi driver and show him/her the address.

In general, what seems to work even though I stick out sorely at all hours of the day/night is looking like I've got to get to point X or else (nevertheless crossing at the crosswalks, adhering to standard good manners as much as possible, etc). I think of it as reflecting the way Napoletani drive-with sheer determination and turning a blind eye to any distractions.

If it makes you feel better, for several years in a row as a tourist I used to stay overnight near Napoli Centrale and never had problems even though I didn't follow what I've written above(wore some gold jewelry, wandered all over the city aimlessly, asked anyone/everyone for directions, etc).

Buona Fortuna...

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crime in Naples

Thank you for that very comprehensive answer - I tend not to wear anything flashy and my watch not terribly flash, so hopefully I will be OK. It scared the hell out of me when I read the Campania section in the Rough Guide to Italy, I have to admit. I was in Rome a few months back and didn't find it the least bit threatening, even in the Termini area where - surprise, surprise - my hotel was. I really should start checking areas before I book.

UK
Level Contributor
3,254 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crime in Naples

Stayed in the Piazza Garibaldi area in the Hotel Prati for a week a few years ago and, although there was clear evidence of homelessness, begging and prostitution, we never felt personally threatened either during the day or when returning to the hotel in the late evening.

We also spent a week in Naples earlier this year staying just off the Corso Umberto not that far from Piazza Garibaldi and again did not feel in any way threatened.

As with any travel in any location, be sensible and aware, and you should be fine.

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crime in Naples

Just got back from Naples, and while the area is clearly "problematic", it IS thankfully possible to avoid getting into difficulty. The only time I was worried was when I verntured north of the Piazza Garibaldi. Now that felt VERY unsafe - even during daytime!

Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crime in Naples

Dear drunkenmaster42,

I'm glad that you made it home ok after your trip to Napoli and hope you had a great trip.

Recently in June 2007, I saw a bus which was completely burned out at Piazza Carlo III. I asked a ton of people about what happened (Garbage strike problem? Camorra? Anything?). As for the Centro Direzionale area north of Napoli Centrale, a couple of days ago we were talking to someone who said that years ago in CD he had a gun pointed at him by a robber who was making off from a car with a car stereo. The area is actually known for the skyscrapers housing several offices of the Region of Campania. A couple of weeks ago, a thief went into some Region's Justice Dept. office and made off with a hard disk with a ton of info on local organized groups.

Nevertheless, as long as I don't wear jewelry or a nice watch during the day, I don't feel I run a huge risk of getting beaten up and/or mugged even in some of the iffy neighborhoods in Napoli. On the other hand I was told a couple of days ago by a lawyer from Berlin that many people (particularly I) shouldn't/couldn't venture to North Eastern Germany or else they (I) would risk getting harrassed or worse beaten up. I remember having a great trip to Dresden so I'm curious as to the validity of the advice I was given regarding that area.

Bentornato...

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,399 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crime in Naples

Spent an whole afternoon and early evening at Centro Direzionale, getting in and out of an establishment, walking back to the train station at night. While it's mostly deserted, I never felt unsafe.

Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crime in Naples

On Wednesday another tourist was robbed of his Rolex watch at Molo Beverello. So in the past week, there have been 4 incidents of Rolex-watch robberies, 3 of which took place the same day within an hour of each other:

www.ilmattino.it/mattino/view.php…

For those travellers with Rolex/nice watches who want to visit Napoli, it would be a good idea to use a very inexpensive watch instead.

Buona Fortuna...

Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
256 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crime in Naples

I spent an afternoon in Naples last month, July 2009. In broad daylight at 3:00 in the afternoon on a Friday I was walking from my hotel near Plaza Garibaldi to the Archeology Museum. As I walked down Via Luigi Settembrini, not far from the museum, a man with a Beretta pistol ran up to me yelling "Rolex. Rolex" and shaking the gun. I realized immediately that I was wearing my Rolex GMT Master, which had not been a problem for me anywhere else in Italy. I gave him the watch and he ran off. Reported this to the police the next day and they said that Rolex watches are the number one target of crooks in Naples and they will not think twice about robbing a tourist. Daylight armed robberies, like the one that happened to me, are less common than strong-arm or snatch-and-run robberies, according to the police.

The US Consulate was no help at all, they did not ev en acknowledge my report of the incident.

I would conisder Naples a very dangerous place and reccomend visiting other areas of Italy instead.

Milwaukee
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Crime in Naples

I spent 2 weeks in Italy with no problems in regards to crime UNTIL I passed through Naples. I had a very brief train layover and decided to walk a short distance from the station to have dinner with my son. We were directed to a very nice restaurant by a desk clerk at a local hotel. After a delightful and entertaining meal, I didn't think twice about using my credit card to pay the bill.

But, ... in retrospect, I should NOT have used my card in that town. Two weeks after our unique Napoli dinner experience, there was more than $4,000 in false charges to my credit card. The thief didn't even physically steal my card... he just stole the card number and the 3 digit security code on the back. He/she had a spending heyday... expensive clothes and jewelry, appliances for the home, LOTS of tank-toppers at the gas station and trips on the tollway. Needless to say, this injustice put a sour taste in my mouth regarding the city of Naples.

Those going to Naples, ... BE CAUTIOUS! You can get taken there when and where you LEAST expect it.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,363 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crime in Naples

milmarm:

If the fraudulent charges did not start until two weeks after you were in Naples, how do you know that they have any relationship to your meal in Naples? They might relate to any other transaction on that card!

And if the charges were fraudulent, your card company should reverse them.