We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comparisons of A, ES and IC+ trains? 1st or 2nd class?

PA
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Comparisons of A, ES and IC+ trains? 1st or 2nd class?

We are planning to take a train from Roma Termini to Naples and continue on Circumvesuviana to Sorrento. We will have carry-on luggage on wheels, not big suitcases. I looked at the train schedule on trenitalia website, and there are A, ES and IC+ trains around the time we will arrive at Roma Termini from the airport.

I see that A trains are the fastest and also the most expensive. I am wondering whether we need limit ourselves to A or ES 1st class seats if we don't want to worry about safety or comfort. Could you please share thoughts on this? Are second class seats on IC+ OK? Can we just show up at Termini and buy tickets on any train leaving next?

I noticed that the ES train goes to Napoli P. Garibaldi station, not Napoli Centrale. Can I still catch Circumvesuviana from P. Garibaldi station?

Thank you so much in advance for your responses!

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Province of Naples, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Napoli Suite
Napoli Suite
401 Reviews
Naples, Italy
Hotel Napoli Centrale B&B
132 Reviews
Naples, Italy
Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Comparisons of A, ES and IC+ trains? 1st or 2nd class?

EuroStar Italia AV (Alta Velocita) is a little bit faster than the regular EuroStar Italia (ES). ICplus is a conventional trainset (locomotive + coaches), also quite comfortable, not as fast...

2nd class is absolutely fine... all these trains "could" sell out, which does not really happen, especially not on the Rome-Naples line as there are so many trains... so it's no problem to just show up and buy the tickets.

Napoli Centrale is at Piazza Garibaldi, ... so I think it's just another name for the same station... maybe somebody from Naples can tell you more about this.

Mentioned in this post
Piazza Garibaldi
Piazza Garibaldi
185 Reviews
Naples, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Naples
Naples
132 Reviews
Naples, Italy
Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Comparisons of A, ES and IC+ trains? 1st or 2nd class?

I took 2nd class Eurostar a few months ago and it was absolutely fine. Very comfortable, and there were very few people on the train. I've read here that the IC+ trains are pretty comparable to the Eurostar trains.

Yes, the distinction between Piazza Garibaldi and Napoli Centrale is very confusing and misleading. I don't quite understand it myself, but for all practical purposes, they are the same thing. When you get off the train in Naples, just follow the signs for the Circumvesuviana. Nothing could be easier.

Mentioned in this post
Piazza Garibaldi
Piazza Garibaldi
185 Reviews
Naples, Italy
Naples
Naples
132 Reviews
Naples, Italy
Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Comparisons of A, ES and IC+ trains? 1st or 2nd class?

Dear telengard,

Regional and inter-regional (R, IR) trains are much less expensive than ES eurostar and A Altavelocita` trains. So very often people get on R and IR trains without a ticket(at least from Napoli to cities south). For the ES and A trains, the seats are reserved so conductors tend to do a good job of checking tickets and ousting passengers who try to ride for free. Also, the ES and A trains have a set number of seats so if the train is packed, that means that all the seats are taken. FS Trenitalia will sell practically an unlimited number of tickets for the following trains: IC Intercity, ICPlus Intercity Plus, R, and IR. As a result, these trains can be packed with people standing in the aisles, near bathrooms, in the shakey scary connecting area between trains, and near the exit doors. Also, it can be a struggle boarding the train to find an open seat.

A and ES trains tend to be on time and are air-conditioned, however, we've been on ES trains which were late by practically an hour. Once some relatives were stuck on the only unairconditioned 1st class car on an ES train from Firenze to Napoli on a very torrid day this Summer. In that case, an ES train can be like an oven or an airplane with the heater on.

What I don't like about IC Intercity trains is that sometimes people without a ticket or with a 2nd class ticket head into 1st class cars. If the conductors are having a tough day checking tickets that day, then there could be gypsies or just very friendly people trying to get to know you. Once we paid for 1st class tickets on an ICplus Intercity Plus train and for a while ended up sitting in a hot/very crowded 2nd class car until we figured out that the car was mismarked (a conductor had put up hand-written signs, one of which was ripped off by the time we boarded the train).

Nevertheless, as mentioned many trains run between Roma and Napoli so even the regional trains might not be so packed although presently news reports say that on certain days last week trains out of Napoli heading to Roma or Milano were very crowded.

If you don't see hoardes of people waiting on the track for the IC+ train from Roma to Napoli, then a 2nd class seat might be fine especially Mon-Fri during the day.

Many ES (not all) trains pass through Napoli on their way to Reggio Calabria so sometimes they stop at Napoli Piazza Garibaldi instead of Napoli Centrale FS Train Station. As jjkdc, Napoli Piazza Garibaldi FS Train Station is on platform #2 and #3 downstairs near the metro lines. You can just go up the escalators, head left, go up another escaltor, and you'll be in the middle of Napoli Centrale FS Train Station.

Definitely, you can just show up at Roma Termini and buy a ticket using the handy numerous automatic ticket machines. I'm not crazy about waiting in line at the ticket windows, however, as an option you're welcome to wait in a line too.

Watch out for the rumoured upcoming train strike in I believe September which might be documented on the following link:

www.summerinitaly.com/planning/strike.asp

Buona Fortuna...

Mentioned in this post
Piazza Garibaldi
Piazza Garibaldi
185 Reviews
Naples, Italy
Reggio Calabria
Reggio Calabria
Province of Reggio Calabria, Italy
Napoli Suite
Napoli Suite
401 Reviews
Naples, Italy
132 Reviews
Naples, Italy
PA
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Comparisons of A, ES and IC+ trains? 1st or 2nd class?

Thank you so much for your responses. I feel well prepared now!

5. Re: Comparisons of A, ES and IC+ trains? 1st or 2nd class?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, September 08, 2009