We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome-Naples by bus

London
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rome-Naples by bus

hi,

has anyone has any idea on any bus travel from rome to naples and vice versa?as im travelling on budget..try to get the cheapest fare:P

Thanks

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,756 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome-Naples by bus

No bus service on that route that I know of -- intercity bus service in Italy is quite limited. But you can travel on the cheap by taking a regional train - as opposed to a ES (Eurostar) or AV (high speed) train. One way fare on a R train is just around 10 euro --

http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

London
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome-Naples by bus

Hi,

thanks..tts within my budget..but i wonder is R train ticket is always unavailable in purchasing online?as i search on few date on line..its sign showned"No" under the but option...

Does this means full?or we can buy only when we are there at roma train station?

must we reserve the seat?when we buy at rome station through the automated machine,can the seat being reserved too?If no more seat,will we still allowed to buy the ticket?

Sorry for all those questions....a bit confusing on how those train work:(..

thanks

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,756 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome-Naples by bus

You CAN buy on line an e-ticket for a R train, but you CANNOT reserve a seat. When you buy it, you'll be emailed a ticket in .pdf format and you board the train with the printout, without stamping it at the yellow machines on the platform. The ticket can't be changed, though: use it or lose it (but you can use it or another regional train within 3 hours of the departure of the original train).

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome-Naples by bus

I understand there is / used to be a bus service from Rome Tiburtina station - called the 'Marozzi' bus.... I think it's air conditioned.... do a 'search' on this website - this forum too... or the Rome forum if you get no joy on th Naples forum... Some people liked it, some didn't - ...

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome-Naples by bus

In March, Kushiba1 answered a similar question:

Both the Marozzi and Curreri Buses leave from Roma Tiburtina FS Train Station and head into Sorrento. You could think about taking a train from Roma Fiumicino FS Train Station ("fiumicino aeroporto" on www.trenitalia.it) to Roma Tiburtina FS Train Station. In the Summer (Jun 1 - Sep 30)the Marozzi Bus runs Mon-Sat 3pm and everyday (non-holidays) at 7am (takes around 4 hours or less). Otherwise, they run Mon-Sat 3pm and Fri-Sun at 7am. You need to buy a ticket before boarding the bus from the Marozzi Office inside Roma Tiburtina FS Train Station which opens at 10am or so. You can also buy a ticket from any travel agent selling Marozzi tickets.

http://www.marozzivt.it/

The Curreri Buses run everyday from Roma Tiburtina FS Train Station at 4:30pm and gets into Sorrento at 8pm and you pay €16 to the driver when you board. You could reserve a spot using their web site, however, the person who answered at their Vico Equense Office said that you don't need to reserve a spot and you just pay the driver before you board:

http://www.curreriviaggi.it/

You need to check if they go through Naples or by pass it !

Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome-Naples by bus

Nolana, you have an incredibly sharp memory... Complementi...

The Marozzi and the Curreri Bus people stop their Roma-Sorrento bus service on holidays like August 15 and the Curreri Buses run bus service Mon-Sat and on non-holidays.

FS F regional and IR interregional trains can be so flakey due to a myriad of reasons (strikes, trains are packed and people take longer to get off and on, work/construction on the train tracks, etc) so if planning a Roma-Napoli trip, one might just consider buying a ticket from one of the very many handy automatic ticket machines in Roma Termini when one finds oneself in Roma Termini. For regional trains the ticket doesn't have the date and time stamped on the ticket so you can buy your ticket days before (30 days I believe is the maximum grace period) and stamp it in the yellow/orange boxes near the platforms before boarding any regional/interregional train to Napoli. One might avoid bending the tickets (applies more for the smaller UnicoCampania tickets) as once I struggled to stamp my ticket in the clunky ticket machine while the train was just about to leave (In this case, one can write in the date and time of the start of the trip on the back of the ticket or somewhere near the front of the ticket on the top).

Buona Fortuna...

London
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome-Naples by bus

Hi,

thanks for both your suggestions and answer.It really helps!..really admire on your italy'knowledge:P...

By the way,if there has no time and date for regional train...can i use it from Rome,drop off at naples for half day,then board again using same ticket to Sorrento?(it save a lot if i can do this)>>>.

Besides,may i know Is ICN comfortable?im thinking to ride them from Venice to Naples,which is only 33.80Euro...really cheap...

Cheers...

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome-Naples by bus

Amicano, the train to Sorrento from Naples is an entirely different train, called the Circumvesuvianna. I don't think your ticket from Rome-Naples would transfer to it.

Regardless, the train from Naples to Sorrento is cheap - only a few euros. If you have the time and interest, I highly recommend exploring Naples' historic center for a few hours, and eating some great Neapolitan pizza. I'm pretty sure the train station in Naples has a luggage storage service.

Oh, and don't judge Naples by what you see around the train station - many people comment on how ugly and seedy it looks, and I suppose they are right. But once you get a few blocks away from it things begin to look much more interesting.

Enjoy your trip.

Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome-Naples by bus

Dear Amicano,

Indeed the ticket for the FS train from Roma to Napoli Centrale is different from the ticket you'd need to get to Sorrento. Once you get off at Napoli Centrale FS Train Station as jjkdc mentioned you'd need to buy a different ticket, a U5 UnicoCampania ticket, to Sorrento for €3.20 from any tobacconist or newsstand in Napoli Centrale or from the FS ticket windows. The best day to do your trip is on Saturdays when you could buy a U5 weekend day pass/weekend giornaliero biglietto for €5.20 which would let you take any public bus/metro/Circumvesuviana Train between Napoli and Sorrento and even over to Salerno for the whole day. Saturdays which fall on a non-holiday are nice because many trains and public buses run and yet you can still save some money using the weekend day pass. On Sundays less trains and buses run. As a warning, not all newsstands and tobacconists sell U5 weekend day passes/weekend giornaliero biglietti so you might need to buy a ticket from the FS Trenitalia ticket window in Napoli Centrale (wait in the line for "treni regionali" or "biglietti UnicoCampania") or maybe at the Sorrento Circumvesuviana Train Station.

The luggage storage facility in Napoli Centrale is rather new and is located nearer to platform #1 and the McDonald's/the bar. It's €3.80 per bag for the first 5 hours and then €0.60/hour for the next 7 hours thereafter:

www.grandistazioni.it/client_enhtml/page.php…

This schedule will expire soon; hopefully you'll gain an idea for the number of trains between Napoli Piazza Garibaldi Circumvesuviana Train Station and Sorrento:

http://www.vesuviana.it/$Nebula2DiskC/Documents/orari/ferrovia/est2006/EE02.pdf

http://www.vesuviana.it/$Nebula2DiskC/Documents/orari/ferrovia/est2006/EE62.pdf

vesuviana.it/Reteeorari/…LineaNapoliSorrento

You could also consider taking a 5pm Marozzi Bus back from Sorrento to Roma Tiburtina. You would first need to purchase a ticket(€16 or more?) for the Marozzi Bus before boarding. There's a Marozzi ticket office at Roma Tiburtina FS Train Station (open 9am and closed on holidays) and supposedly at a travel agent in Sorrento who sells Marozzi Bus tickets. Someone said that the bus leaves from either Piazza Tasso in Sorrento or Piazza A. Lauro near the Sorrento Circumvesuviana Train Station:

http://www.marozzivt.it/

Buona Fortuna...

10. Re: Rome-Naples by bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:22 am, September 08, 2009