We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where in Naples to stay...one night, errands to run next day

Northeast USA
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where in Naples to stay...one night, errands to run next day

I need to pick a hotel for a one night stay in Naples...the reviews in the hotels section have been somewhat helpful, but I'm hoping for some real life advice from locals or frequent travelers.

The night we are spending in Naples is strictly by necessity. We are arriving in Naples via plane (so convenience to airport is a plus) and have two places we need to go the next morning:

1) US Consulate at Piazza della Repubblica

2) Prefettura at Via Vespucci, 172

I am unsure whether it would be best for us to stay closer to one or the other of these locations, or somewhere in between.

We would like a safe area where we can walk around at night and go out for dinner. However, we won't really have time to do much sightseeing in Naples, so being close to activities is not a must.

Also, recommendations on whether to take the train from Naples to Sorrento and then taxi to Ravello, OR to do private car transport from Naples to Ravello are also appreciated!

Thank you!

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where in Naples to stay...one night, errands to run next day

You might consider the Pinto Storey, at Piazza Amedeo in the Chiaia district. A nice hotel at a very reasonable price for Naples. In a charming and safe area. An excellent Neapolitan pizza place right down the street.

It appears to be about a 20-25 walk from Piazza della Repubblica.

There is a metro station right outside the hotel that you can use to go to the train station. I would take the train to Salerno (not Sorrento), as it is MUCH closer to Ravello. A 2nd class Eurostar ticket to Salerno is only about 10 euros and the ride is only about half an hour. A taxi from Salerno up to Ravello will be about 50 euros.

Hope this helps.

Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where in Naples to stay...one night, errands to run next day

You could also consider staying somewhere central near Piazza Municipio and Piazza Trieste e Trento/Via Chiaia. Someone recently mentioned some interest in the MH Design Hotel on Via Chiaia #245 (I think) which is right near Piazza Trieste e Trento and practically across the street from Teatro San Carlo/The Royal Palace/Piazza Pebliscito/etc. The price seems ok and the outside seemed rather presentable:

http://www.mhhotel.it/

The US Consulate is on the water at the edge of Mergellina and the Chiaia Districts of Napoli and you could take an R3 bus from Piazza Vittoria or Piazza Trieste e Trento and could exit at Piazza della Repubblica. Then walk toward the huge white building near the ocean with the armed tank(s) nearby. Actually, the last time I went to the Consulate around a week ago, the tank wasn't there. The consulate is surrounded by a wrought iron fence and you tell the person at the gate that you're an American, show him your passport, and he'll buzz you in. You'll need to put your purse/belongings through an Xray machine and then you can head up the stairs/take the elevator to the proper floor to address your business.

http://www.anm.it/upload/Linee/R3.PDF

The Prefettura near Via Vespucci 172 is I believe across the street from the housing projects and past Via A. Lucci and you could take a #4 trolley down, however, it'd be best to take a taxi in general:

http://www.anm.it/upload/Linee/%20%204.PDF

Many times people head over to the Prefettura office at Piazza Pebliscito to stamp documents before submitting a document to the American Consulate in Mergellina/Napoli.

Indeed it'd be nice to take a train to Salerno and then a private driver to Ravello, however, taking the SS145 from Sorrento to the SS163 coastal road to the Costiera Amalfitana would be nice (and take longer).

Buona Fortuna...

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,343 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where in Naples to stay...one night, errands to run next day

I would second the Pinto Story, nice small Hotel, and also a good location,

www.pintostorey.it

New York
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Where in Naples to stay...one night, errands to run next day

We are arriving in Naples from Rome by train in the morning (on a business day) and will need to move very quickly from the train station to the US Consulate. Could anyone recommend a form of transportation that we should take to get there the quickest? We heard traffic is very congested in Naples, but so far we've been unable to decipher the train system. We will have quite a bit of luggage with us as well, so that's another thing to keep in mind. Thank you!

DestWed,

We will also need to make the trip to the Prefettura. Do you know if we will get by OK there without speaking Italian? Also, do you know what's the cost for the legalization? If you prefer to answer by e-mail, please send to ivavelikova@hotmail.com.

thank you all!

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where in Naples to stay...one night, errands to run next day

The quickest way would definitely be to take a cab. Yes, traffic congestion is bad in Naples, but that doesn't stop people from driving in it day after day. Get a cab from the taxi stand in front of the station, and before getting in the car ask how much it will cost. If the driver is honest, he should say about 15 euros (give or take a few).

For only 1 euro apiece, you could also take the metro to the Merginella stop (I think it's only 4 stops from the main train station). However, the US Consulate is a few blocks from there, and with luggage it might not be such a pleasant walk.

I'm sure there's a bus you take as well, but I'll have to leave that to Kkushiba.

Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where in Naples to stay...one night, errands to run next day

Legalizing a document takes a marca da bollo stamp(like a postage stamp) for maybe €6.40 which must be purchased from a tobacconist before taking the documents to be stamped by an official at the questura/prefettura. The official will attach the stamp on the document and will then stamp everything with a big rubber stamp.

7. Re: Where in Naples to stay...one night, errands to run next day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, September 08, 2009