We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport Help Please!

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Transport Help Please!

My wife and I will be arriving into Naples by train from Rome at approx. 10:00 pm on a Saturday night. We are staying at the Royal Continental Hotel.

I have heard that the train station is a very unsafe area. What is the safest way for us to get to the hotel?

How much is a cab and are they regular at the station?

Is there any other way?

Thanks for your help!

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport Help Please!

Supposedly the streets around the train station get pretty scary at night. But inside the station should be no problem, and there will be plenty of people around. Just remember the usual precautions about pickpockets, etc. And if a stranger comes up to you to help you with your luggage, shoo them away.

There is a taxi stand right in front of the station. I'm guessing a cab to your hotel would cost you 10-15 euros. You could also ask your hotel to arrange for a driver to pick you up, if you preferred.

There is no subway station near your hotel, so that's not an option.

Enjoy bella Napoli!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport Help Please!

you will be arriving at the piazza garibaldi, which is not the best of areas, but is the largest train and bus terminal in naples so you will have no choice. we arrived back from a day trip to rome at about midnight and booked a taxi to our hotel from outside the terminal.

there are lots of taxis available but make sure that you agree a price with the driver before getting in the taxi to avoid misunderstandings later.

it is not so much the train and bus terminal at piazza garibaldi that is scary, for there are always lots of travellers and staff there, though as already mentioned you must beware of pickpockets, it is more the streets surrounding the terminal that are to be avoided. my advice would be to do as we did in naples, only ever use the terminal to get to other places, but don't actually explore the area around it.

Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport Help Please!

A cab to the Royal Continental Hotel from Napoli Centrale FS Train Station might cost around €12 or so. From Mon-Sat 7am-10pm, it's supposed to cost €9.50 for the ride and since you're arriving at 10pm, you'll need to pay a little more. As mentioned, determine a price before getting into any taxi. The line for taxi drivers is to the left as you exit Napoli Centrale (you'll pass by the station's police station).

…napoli.it/flex/…TARIFFE_TAXI.pdf

You might think about not wearing any gold jewelry or a nice watch in Napoli; this is a streetrule known by practically all locals in the Region of Campania. I've often been in Napoli Centrale late at night (once waiting outside at midnight waiting for a ride back to Salerno) and in general, you'll see several police officers near where you need to go (from the platform of your train to the taxi drivers).

The Royal Continental Hotel is one of the most exclusive places to stay in Napoli. You might send them an email to see if they could meet you at the train station:

http://www.royalcontinental.it/

Buona Fortuna...

4. Re: Transport Help Please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:24 am, September 08, 2009