We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arrive at NAP @ 12:15 can I see Pompeii or Vesuvius same day

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
838 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Arrive at NAP @ 12:15 can I see Pompeii or Vesuvius same day

We arrive at the international airport at 12:15pm with our final destiantion as Sorrento. What I'm wondering is should we try to see Pompeii or Vesuvius the day we arrive (will only have been on a few hour flight from Barcelona) or should we just get to Sorrento and then come back up to see it.

I guess I don't know where we'd put our luggage (large backpacks) if we did Vesuvius or Pompeii upon arrival. Would it be feasible? Would we be rushed?

Would it be better to spend the night near Pompeii or Vesuvius or Naples and get up the next day and see them or just get to Sorrento and then back track?

Also, I've seen many conflicting posts about the feasibility of doing Vesuvius/Pompeii in one day. Or Herculaneum/Pompeii. We will only have time for one day to these areas. Any suggestions?

Thank you so much! Your helpful if priceless!

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arrive at NAP @ 12:15 can I see Pompeii or Vesuvius same day

I just responded to your other question about the bus vs. the train and getting to Sorrento.

If you want to stop at Pompeii on the way, I think you'd have to take the Curreri bus to the Naples train station, where you would then take the Circumvesuvianna. Pompeii DOES have a luggage storage service at the entrance, so no need to worry about that.

I think you see conflicting posts about the feasibility of doing Pompeii and Herculaneum in one day because people vary in how much walking they can stand to do in one day (as well as how many ruins they can stand to look at). It also depends on how much of Pompeii you want to see. I can tell you that Pompeii is really, really huge. To see it completely takes a good 5 hours or more. If it's hot and sunny, be aware that there are few places there to get out of the sun. Most people would be worn out by this alone. If there are just a few key things there you want to see over a couple of hours, that's another matter.

Hope this helps.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,587 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arrive at NAP @ 12:15 can I see Pompeii or Vesuvius same day

have just got back from naples, and would not advise what you are suggesting.

pompeii is huge as the previous postee said, i mean believe me i like walking and so do all my family but after seeing pompeii we were fit only to collapse in a heap.

the heat is intense and so you tire more easily and it is very dusty and dry, which means you feel pretty grimy after walking part way round it.

also, would you really want to pay the entrance fee on the offchance you could manage it then have to give up before doing it justice.

herculaneum is more manageable, but again if you are tired you will not enjoy it as much.

3. Re: Arrive at NAP @ 12:15 can I see Pompeii or Vesuvius same day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 pm, September 05, 2009