We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pompeii or Herculaneum

Melbourne
4 posts
Save Topic
Pompeii or Herculaneum

If we can only visit one, should we miss the famous Pompeii? We have only one night in Naples and are arriving first thing by train from Rome.

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Province of Naples, Italy
Naples
Naples
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
21 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pompeii or Herculaneum

Herculaneum is definitely easier to see in limited time. You might even be able to visit Herculaneum and the Archaelogical Museum, which houses A LOT of artefacts recovered from both sites.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Herculaneum
Hotel Herculaneum
482 Reviews
Ercolano, Italy
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
32,722 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pompeii or Herculaneum

Trains Naples lower basement station to Sorrento, Herculaneum and Pompeii www.eavsrl.it/web/content/orario-ferrovia

www.pompeiisites.org www.timeout.com/naples

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Hotel Herculaneum
Hotel Herculaneum
482 Reviews
Ercolano, Italy
Pompeii
Pompeii
Australia
Level Contributor
3,775 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pompeii or Herculaneum

I agree with Stuart.

You are spending such a short time in Naples.... The city itself deserves time.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Melbourne
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pompeii or Herculaneum

Thanks so much for replying. Yes, there is so very much we are not doing and seeing and experiencing, and every time I have to make a decision as to what to miss, I suffer!

And I now realise this question has also been debated on the Ercolano forum. No easy answers there either.

Mentioned in this post
Ercolano
Ercolano
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pompeii or Herculaneum

" No easy answers there either."

If it's any help, on our tour of Pompeii, our Pompeii-native guide said "I think it's a huge shame so many people don't bother visiting Ercolano" :)

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Ercolano
Ercolano
p b
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
409 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pompeii or Herculaneum

I would go to Herculaneum which I found much more interesting than its more famous counterpart , there is also Oplontis which has very few visitors , its no comparison for scale think football to pea , but again interesting and without the crowds but its an individual property not a town. Given your time limit though Herculaneum would be the one .

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Herculaneum
Hotel Herculaneum
482 Reviews
Ercolano, Italy
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,517 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pompeii or Herculaneum

My first visit to Pompeii was on an organised tour (accompanied by a Classics professor) and we were taken to Herculaneum too, which I found I much preferred. I thought it was fascinating to see the modern city rising above it. And it is much smaller, as already mentioned.

The second time I visited Pompeii we were also taken to Oplontis, and that was a real highlight. That second visit was a day-trip from Rome, with a school group (and an archeaologist explaining stuff to us....she was the one who added Oplontis to the day). The lead teacher had insisted on visiting Pompeii, although Ostia Antica, the port of ancient Rome, would have been so much simpler to visit. He said he didn't want to be "fobbed off" with just Ostia Antica. But we have been there since and it is wonderful, a huge site, with far fewer visitors than Pompeii gets, so more atmospheric. If you have time while you are in Rome you might go there for half a day

Edited: 4:41 am, June 10, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Hotel Herculaneum
Hotel Herculaneum
482 Reviews
Ercolano, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pompeii or Herculaneum

I have visited both many, many times over 5 decades and I still prefer Herculaneum, Far more interesting as there is far more intact buildings and until you experience the heat in Pompeii in the summer you don't know what 'Hell' might be like.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Herculaneum
Hotel Herculaneum
482 Reviews
Ercolano, Italy
Pompeii
Pompeii
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pompeii or Herculaneum

How much time do you have? Herculaneum is a smaller site so if you are pressed for time you may want to consider it over Pompeii. Also, are you easily affected by sun and heat? If so Herculaneum has more shady spots to take a breather. Often people feel Herculaneum is better preserved but I actually found both sites to be. Both are fascinating.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Herculaneum
Hotel Herculaneum
482 Reviews
Ercolano, Italy
Pompeii
Pompeii
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
679 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pompeii or Herculaneum

Pompeii can be rather crowded in the morning, so as it is not very pleasant to visit some houses. If your visit has to be in the morning, I'd probably opt for Herculaneum.

Also, since time seems to be a constraint: Herculaneum can be visited completely in 2-3 hours, whereas you'd need 4 hours or more for Pompeii. Pompeii is huge, so that includes a lot of walking.

Edited: 6:50 am, June 10, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Hotel Herculaneum
Hotel Herculaneum
482 Reviews
Ercolano, Italy
Reply to: Pompeii or Herculaneum
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;