We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip

Boston. Ma.
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Planning a trip

I'm thinking of planning a trip to include Florence to Naples (possibly a day trip to Sorrento also)and then out to Avella to visit relatives. I wonder why Naples gets such short shrift from travel companies and even on this forum...so many people seem to be from cruise ships and want to "see Naples" in 3 hours. It seems like such and interesting place with so many things to see...I will be travelling with my niece who is an architect and has already been to Rome as have I. I thought Florence would be great for her to see. (I have beeen there and loved it.) I really want to go to Naples and then perhaps rent a car and go out to Avella where my cousins live. Do you think this is possible? If so, are there any suggestions? e.g. going to sotto Napoli or the catacombs.

Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a trip

Dear poodle26,

Napoli does have million of unique and beautiful sights to admire, however, it's extremely advisable not to wear any gold jewelry or a nice Rolex-type watch. Also, even the locals in the other provinces including Avellino (where Avella is) know that heading into Napoli requires keeping an eye on one's belongings. We were helping a rather lively older couple in Amalfi who had escaped getting robbed in Napoli Piazza Garibaldi by holding on tightly to their luggage which was being pulled by a robber on the other side of the closing doors of a bus. Nevertheless, Napoli has some awfully wealthy and/or lucky residents who wake up to the best of everything everyday (nice shops, view of the ocean, Capri, Vesuvio, good food, etc).

If you rent a car, be very careful as you head out of the city to reach the A1 toward Caserta and then the A16 autostrada for Avella.

As for Napoli Sotteranea, definitely go if you have time. The entrance is in Centro Storico and the tour times are posted on the web site:

http://www.napolisotterranea.org/

Napoli has some incredible palazzi/palaces throughout the city and there's so much history about how they came to be that your niece could investigate the following book by Donatella Mazzoleni:

alibris.com/search/…20Naples

Buona Fortuna...

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a trip

We rent a car from Naples airport,for our onward destination in Campania and it's fine,no problems.We also always visit Naples for the day / overnight,for our shopping,seeing all the churches and buildings and of course having our pizza fix! def worth a visit.

Boston. Ma.
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a trip

Thanks so much for the information. I will definitely get that book for my niece's birthday. I know she will love it. I still haven't firmed up plans, still thinking about primary itinerary. I don't know if we should include Florence - perhaps focus on Naples, Sorrento, Pompeii and Herculaneum - but Florence made such an impression on me, I thought she wou;ld enjoy it, too...Thanks again for your insights.

Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a trip

Dear poodle26,

Firenze might be such a treat for your niece especially if she likes renaissance art. However, it's up to you as to how many cities you feel that you two would be able to enjoy on your upcoming trip.

Buon Viaggio...

Boston. Ma.
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a trip

Thank you Kikushiba. I think I should consult with my niece about what she would like to see. She has only been to Rome. Also a "must" would be a visit to our cousins in Avella...Maybe we will just do Florence, Naples and then drive out to visit the family...That might be quite enough for one trip. I did a general trip to something like six cities and that becomes like living in a blur.

Maple Glen, PA
Level Contributor
545 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a trip

We discovered our Italian cousins through online genealogical reserach and met them in Avella last year. Make sure they take you to the pizza place that looks like a large sheltered picnic area with a parking attendant across the street. Don't know the name, but the best pizza ever and fun place. Also visit the Roman tombs and amphitheater in Avella. They are working on a museum of archaelogical items in Avella. Enjoy your family.

7. Re: Planning a trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, September 01, 2009