We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

URGENT! convalescing on Ischia with 8 and 10 year old- help!

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
URGENT! convalescing on Ischia with 8 and 10 year old- help!

We are off to Ischia on Wednesday. We stay for a week then have a week in Sorrento. We're staying at the Pagoda Residence, right by the port, with our 8 and 10 year old girls (mixed reviews- i know- but good value!)

I am recovering from shoulder surgery which was carried out 3 weeks ago, so I need to take it easy... even typing is an effort, tbh. So.. if anyone can help advise me of scenic, relaxing, low key things to do so that I feel like I've seen a bit of the island without over doing it, I'd be v grateful.

Also, can anyone give details of one way ferry travel to Sorrento from Ischia?

Many, many thanks for any help. we were going to cancel but are now going and trying to make the best of things!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: URGENT! convalescing on Ischia with 8 and 10 year old- help!

Don't know if a visit to one of the spas might do you some good?

Have a look at this thread - and use the link that's there to download yourself the PDF of our island magazine - also available in printed form once here, for about €1.50...

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187784-i779-k56…

Think you're going TO Sorrento?

If so, the easiest way is in the afternoon - on this daily Alilauro hydrofoil, which will be taking back the day-visitors from there...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/131364851

I've never seen it particularly full, but perhaps an idea to buy tickets from the office at the landing stage the day before - just in case?

Otherwise you'll have to go via either Naples (frequent crossings on both legs, but awkward) or Capri (only one or two, not a great choice either!).

Pictures from around the island:

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/allaboutischia

Things our visiting family and friends have enjoyed particularly:

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/iscstars

And - by far - the best guidebook to pick up before you come is Time Out's "Naples and the Amalfi Coast".... followed by the Lonely Planet's version!

In deference to your shoulder.... if you've no other qs, replying with just an "OK" would be fine!

Hope you'll all have a great time here,

Peter

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: URGENT! convalescing on Ischia with 8 and 10 year old- help!

Peter, that is so useful. no wonder i was having trouble researching travel to Sorrento! it is later in the day than we'd like, but simpler than going via Naples. Any idea how long the crossing is?

I was given a copy of the lonely planet book as a present but havent read it yet- glad to hear its quite a good one!

Thank you so much... and the spa sounds perfect!

i guess the only remaining question i have is about an accessible decent beach, close to ischia porto. any within walking distance?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: URGENT! convalescing on Ischia with 8 and 10 year old- help!

It's some 40 - 50 minutes to Sorrento on the direct route - roughly a triangle with Naples!

The Pagoda has swimming from its sea terraces, with ladders down into the water - however I don't think there's any sand within easy walking distance.

The main Ischia Porto beach (San Pietro), on the far side of the harbour entrance, gets very busy - and you may prefer to come to the Spiaggia dei Pescatori... a bit further towards Ponte - where there's a mix of "free" public areas and beach stations:

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/beaches

Otherwise, towards Casamicciola, there's the small Spiaggia dei Inglese - although I recollect that there you lose the sun quite early in the afternoon...

Peter

4. Re: URGENT! convalescing on Ischia with 8 and 10 year old- help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 10, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Isola d'Ischia