We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ischia - What town is the best to stay in?

Uxbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ischia - What town is the best to stay in?

My hustband and I are staying on Ischia for 2 nights in late September (25-27). We can't decide which of the towns would best suit us. Should we stay in Ischia, Forio, Casamicciola Terme or one of the other towns. We would like to visit one of the Thermal parks as well as do some local shopping. We are willing to take local buses to get around. We are not interested in night life as we are mid 50s. As we are only there for 2 days we want to make the most of the time we have there.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,398 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ischia - What town is the best to stay in?

Bus transport is good on Ischia, so it doesn't matter where exactly you stay.

When we styed for 3 days in May 2008, we stayed in Ischia Ponte somewhat near the castle. That area is scenic, has good restaurants, and good shopping. It is not far fron the central bus station whic give you access to all the bus lines.

We vsitedf Negombo theremal park by taking the bus forn the port.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ischia - What town is the best to stay in?

We've been here since 2003, and chose to make our home in the same area that had been our holiday favourite, the oldest part of Ischia Ponte - down towards the Castello Aragonese, the little islet at its easternmost end!

Give me a shout if you'd like a few specific suggestions, although this is usually a showstopper...

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g580214-d5643…

One alternative that's very popular with TA members wanting a short stay somewhere 'central' is the Aragona Palace - near the waterside in Ischia Porto, only a minute or two from where the hydrofoils dock.

Whilst that area can be rather noisy of a summer evening, it tends to be much calmer at other times.

Reviews here - and I'd suggest looking back for those from previous Septembers. Although fairly expensive in high summer, they have some great deals in the shoulder seasons!

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g580214-d9520…

For an idea of what the island, its main city (confusingly also named Ischia, and somewhat sloppily divided into the two parts mentioned already) and the various other towns and villages are like - plus a few tips and suggestions I've put together over the years - start here:

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/allaboutischia

And do also try the island's excellent bilingual visitor magazine - in which you'll find fairly up-to-date information on buses, the various spas etc etc! Use the topmost "Download" button for the most recent one:

ischianews.com/it/…2.html

... but perhaps also go back for a quick peek at last September's?

ischianews.com/images/…2011-settembre-web.pdf

Oh, and here's how some previous Septembers have looked...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/pics_sept

Peter

Uxbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ischia - What town is the best to stay in?

Thank you Lupaling and Peter. I have now booked a hotel in Ischia as you both suggested. The only thing I'm sorry about is the fact I only allowed 2 days to explore and enjoy Ischia.

Does anyone know if the ferry/hydrofoil schedules are the same in late September? All the websites I have visited only have schedules up to September 15th. We will be heading to Naples via train from Rome and understand there are 2 ports we could sail from. What would be the easiest?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ischia - What town is the best to stay in?

So much Italy, so little time?

There are sure to be a few changes in the hydrofoil sailings after that date, mostly to suit the needs of school and college students who will again be travelling - in both directions!

Shouldn't be any great reduction in services, with still a good part of the season remaining - but often they'll post the subsequent schedule a few days before it takes effect, so look for a red Adobe symbol labelled something like, "Orari del Golfo di Napoli dal 16 Settembre al... " appearing here:

http://www.alilauro.it/

Although it's more pleasant, these days (now that the Rome trains no longer stop at Mergellina's station) you'll have considerably more choice at the Beverello quay, in the main harbour - to get to which it's simplest to either take a taxi from the station rank...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/campania__taxis

....or pay €3 each to use the very handy tourist Alibus service...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/alibus

You'll find some other bits and pieces re the trip over that may be of interest here:

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/gettingtoischia

If in no rush, the ferries usually offer a nicer way to do the journey - smoother, more relaxing, with most of them having a small bar and some pleasant sunbathing spaces... plus better for photo-taking!

Two operators, Caremar and Medmar - links amongst that stuff of mine, together with details of how to get to the Porta di Massa quay, from where they both operate. Also slightly cheaper, although slower...

Give me a shout if none of that's clear!

Peter

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ischia - What town is the best to stay in?

Hi,

We have very suddenly begun booking our trip which will include a Mon to Fri in the Amalfi Coast July 30thto Aug 4th. My friend suggested Ischia which I had never heard of, and I was thinking to stay in Sorrento. I want to visit the various towns so is Ischia a convienent home base. I would come to see the area as I would go to see Capri, Positano and the other towns. We have a 12:30 noon flight out of Rome so I booked my last night in Naples so we can take an early train to the Rome airport that morning. I want to see Pompeii and I thought that would be the easiest to do out of Naples.

Your help is greatly appreciated

Lily

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,398 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ischia - What town is the best to stay in?

Pompeii is almost equidistant forn Naples and Sorrento. It is a 40 min ride on the Circumvesuvina to Pompeii. It is a 30 min ride from Sorrento.

Being an island ischia is not all that convenient as a base for touring the mainland. There are lots of hydrofoils from Ischia to Naples during the day.

There is one direct hydrofoil fron Ischia to Sorrento going and one going back per day. Sorrento is a better base for exploring the mainland from.

Edited: 12:36 am, July 12, 2012
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ischia - What town is the best to stay in?

Hi there! If not an egg-sucking lesson, might I suggest that a look at this map might be helpful?

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/131536118

A lot will depend on where you both imagine striking the balance between sightseeing and "holidaying" (for the lack of a better word).... whilst all of those places, and plenty of others, are visitable as daytrips from here, the expense of daily sea crossings (at 18 Euro or so each way each) would mount up!

Perhaps you'd care to run through this, in which I've gone into more detail for someone with a very similar dilemma...

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g580214-i10609-k…

There again, should the weather we've had for the last month continue, your travelling plans may need a rethink - as this couple found recently...

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187784-i779-k55…

If that's the case, the island breezes - and access to what are probably the best beaches in the area - may take on a higher priority, with just one or two excursions being all you'd want to undertake?

Have a look here, for photos of the island in those months!

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/iscpics

... and here for places within relatively easy reach:

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/tele

... and perhaps don't leave it too much longer before finding your accommodation - with it so hot in the cities, high-summer's mass exodus does appear to have started unusually early!

Peter

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ischia - What town is the best to stay in?

We opted on Sant Angelo because of the beach and got lucky with an excellent price at the Scirroco Studios right on the waterfront for 60 euros a night for Oct. 7-11. We plan to take buses to various other towns for day trips but probably will spend most of the time on the terrace and beach. Can't wait!

Edited: 1:03 pm, July 13, 2012
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ischia - What town is the best to stay in?

If I can keep my lazy **** in gear, you should be able to follow the summer here...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/recisch

No promises!

Peter

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ischia - What town is the best to stay in?

We'll be in Sant Angelo from Oct. 12-16. We've done our homework but always like to get info from someone who is actually there. What can we expect for weather and will the tourist season be done or winding down?

Get answers to your questions about Isola d'Ischia