We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thermal Parks & hotels

North Carolina
1 post
Save Topic
Thermal Parks & hotels

Hello!

My husband and I are headed to the Amalfi coast for our honeymoon in August. We know it's the busiest time of year but due to our work/school schedule it's the only time we can get away.

We are spending five days in Amalfi, traveling around from there, but are planning to spend one full day and night in Ischia on our way back towards Rome for our return flight.

We'd like to spend the day at a Thermal park, but I'm not sure which one. A friend has recommended Castiglione, but she was there off season and I've read that it is crowded and tends to have a lot of children in the high season. Is that true? Can anyone tell me more about Negombo or Poseidon? We are newlyweds in out mid-thirties, and would be most comfortable in a romantic, relatively kid-free setting than in a serious crowd. Is that even possible in Ischia in August?

The other determining factor is the hotel. We are arriving on the morning ferry from Sorrento and ideally, would like to check in and go quickly to the park so as not to waste any time. Initially, we thought Castiglione would be great since there is a hotel on the property. Does anyone have any isight into hotels near or attached to the other spas?

Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,039 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thermal Parks & hotels

I have been to Negombo, but in the winter. We took the bus there fron the Port (bus 1). it was gret there and very scenic. We were there in the offseaon. NMo idea how many children might be there

map to Negombo

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

Pictures of facility

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thermal Parks & hotels

You'll be hard put to find anywhere by the sea in this part of the world that's not full of kids in August!

Thankfully though, even if busy, what you'll see on Ischia that month will be almost exclusively Italian visitors, and Italian kids...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/122604639

... which is a blessing, as their behaviour isn't a lot like that of those you and I would perhaps both be accustomed to "at home"?

Try here for the places locally in which they're more likely to be from elsewhere:

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/138495555

For some photos from the three spas we use - Negombo, Castiglione and Poseidon... in that order of preference.... have a look through:

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/spagards

We rarely go in August, but they tend not to be overrun with youngsters - hardly cheap for one thing (€9 for kids at Castiglione, though more like €16 at Poseidon etc!).... but also because they keep the smaller kids out of the really hot pools, which rather defeats the object of taking them?

Personally, I'd say that Negombo is worth the extra 15 or 20 minutes travelling - for the lovely setting and gardens... the more, and "better", combinations of hot pools...

negombo.it/pdf/negombo-filo-di-arianna-en.pdf

... the great food in all their various eateries.... and also because, with the use of the sandy San Montano Bay, many of the kids spend their time there!

Opinions of their hotel seem a little divided, but it is quite pricey, and rather out of the way...

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g580213-d6678…

http://www.negombo.it/en/negombo-hotel.html

For such a short stay, perhaps this one makes most sense - only 2 minutes from where the boat from the AC (assuming it operates this year) lands, at the waterside in the port of Ischia Porto:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g580214-d9520…

http://www.hotelaragona.it/eng/hotel.htm

Dump your bags on arrival, and bus or taxi away - good selection of restaurants to hand in the evening... can be a bit loud there, but after a day's exercise at one of the spas you'll be ready to collapse!

Peter

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
903 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thermal Parks & hotels

Hi, I hope you don't think me impolite!! I'm going to jump in here as i have a similar question!

We're arriving in Sorrento for a week in October (A Brit in Italy, we've chatted before) we wanted to come earlier but sadly plans have to fit around our business so have to wait til 14th October to fly over!!!

Will any of the "nice" spa's you mention above still be open on Ischia?

As i'm reading mixed reviews on the weather (who can tell what it will be like!) i obviously would like to know if we're going to enjoy this activity.

Also and i'm sure i know the answer..... if we do the Spa one day should we come back another day to tour around the island and also go up Monte Epomeo (and are there any local tours who we can contact to do this?!)

Thanks and erineliza hopefully you may find some of this interesting too! :-)

Caz

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thermal Parks & hotels

Hi again! Glad to see you're interested in our island!

Looks like the latest we've been to any of the spas was October 2nd one year, but they're certainly open after then.

In the May (maggio) edition of the island magazine - at the top of the list here until June's appears:

ischianews.com/it/…2.html

.... there's a nice piece that starts on page 73, about Negombo - our favourite. Annoyingly though all it says is "Open: from April to October" !

Just before that, the summary details for several others give more precise dates - and somewhere should be open, even if that one isn't....

But recheck nearer the time as they could shut up early (or go into a very restricted "Winter" mode in Negombo's case) if the weather's really dreadful, although Posedion has a huge glass-covered pool that's still pleasant even on a foul day!

Previous Octobers have mainly been good - and when it's not we mostly get heavy, brief thunderstorms...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/recoct

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Not sure what level of hotel you're staying in, or what the deal is, but a couple should be able to get a decent room in one here for the price of their second return trips on the hydrofoil - which, very recently, seem to have gone up.... to:

Adult € 20.90 single, € 39.80 return

Children 0/2 € 0.00

Children 2/12 € 11.50 (one way, I assume?)

Large bags/cases € 2.00 per piece

... and staying over would effectively add 24 hours - not the 7 or so you'd otherwise have?

Speaking of which... obviously time for me to update the prices on this:

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/131364851

Yes, there certainly are such guides - I'll try to dig out a few more, but for instance the guy who features in the photo on this leaflet about some of the other hiking trails:

pbase.com/isolaverde/image/123579788/large

pbase.com/isolaverde/image/123579786/large

....or...

ischiatrekking.net/ischia_trekking_inglese.h…

Perhaps there are simpler and harder routes, but I think that most people go on up Epomeo on their own!

Peter

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
903 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thermal Parks & hotels

Thanks for all your efforts above :-)

I've had a quick scan and all looks excellent ..... we're hopefully staying in Sorrento at the Antiche Mura Hotel (again good TA reviews!) so would be day tripping over to Ischia.

I'll come back to you once i've read all your helpful links.

Caz

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thermal Parks & hotels

Still wincing at the idea of spending 160 Euro or so on hydrofoil fares!

Can't immediately spot any more hiking guides, but should have remembered to direct you to:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g187784-d2…

Otherwise the walk's one of four on the island included in this...

amazon.co.uk/Walking-Amalfi-Coast-Sorrento-P…

... but the island's not, I think, covered in the local Sunflower guide!

You'll still find postcards on sale showing the mules that used to carry people up there, but I'm pretty sure that those were retired years ago - however someone's been offering trips on horseback recently...

visitischia.com/en/news/127-slideshow/923-es…

That reads as though it's around sunset - may be others, although I'm not too sure about the standard of the translation!

Peter

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
903 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thermal Parks & hotels

Hi Peter

Yes the hydrofoil is a tad expensive, but i guess that's the way it goes sometimes..... Thanks again for your further links! I'm still trying to access the Negombo website but it keeps crashing as the page opens :-( i'll keep trying as i wish to ask about their opening hours mid October..... Caz

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thermal Parks & hotels

That sounds exactly like the difficulties we used to have when using Internet Explorer as our browser... and we've told them about it many times!

Much more stable in Mozilla Firefox - which I also like for its great Adblocker addon!

Contact details for Negombo:

phone +39 081 986152 or +39 081 986055

fax +39 081 986342

General: negombo@negombo.it

Admin: amministrazione@negombo.it

Hotel: hoteldellabaia@negombo.it

Spa treatments: benessere@negombo.it

However it's unlikely to be that they're simply not telling - rather that they've not yet decided!

Peter

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
903 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thermal Parks & hotels

Your so helpful !!!! Thanks i'll email them this morning to see if they can advise about the pools :-) etc.,

Caz

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thermal Parks & hotels

This should download even with IE - if it's the sort of thing you were looking for?

negombo.it/pdf/negombo-filo-di-arianna-en.pdf

Peter

Get answers to your questions about Isola d'Ischia