We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we take a car to Ischia

Scotland
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Do we take a car to Ischia

Hello, we're planning a self-drive holiday to the Neopolitan Riviera and Amalfi coast. We fly into Naples and are then intending to go to Ischia, Sorrento and then onto somewhere on the Amalfi coast. Looking at previous posts it seems that taking a car to Ischia is not a great idea. If not, how would we get there from Naples airport and then where would we pick up a car to get to Sorrento? Many thanks.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do we take a car to Ischia

Hi again! Hope you found the reply to your previous enquiry useful, even if apparently too busy to acknowledge it?

Lots of people do bring cars over, mostly though they're Italians who'll have packed everything necessary for spending the summer here - rather than coming for only a couple days...

For that long it's probably not worth the trouble and expense - particularly with the island being only the size of Oxford (18 square miles or so), and having relatively few roads - but a pretty good (if occasionally very busy!) bus service.

So I'd suggest saving the hire cost and ferry charges - and what you'd perhaps pay for parking - by waiting until you're back on the mainland before getting one.

Then do so either from Naples, where there's a wider choice of hire companies, or wherever else you choose to land when moving on from here!

The crossings available change thru' the season, but you've not said when you'll be here - however I doubt there's anywhere to which you can't have one delivered...

For some ideas re getting here, see:

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/gettingtoischia

From the airport it's essentially very simple: take either a taxi, or the Alibus, to the harbour (Molo Beverello for hydrofoils, Porta di Massa for the ferries), and buy tickets for whichever line has the next departure to your preferred port of arrival...

I imagine someone on the Sorrento forum will be able to tell you about hire companies there, although that may involve a dropoff charge if finishing back at the airport?

There are daily crossings from here to Capri in the mornings, or to Sorrento in the afternoons, that should both be beginning in a week or so...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/131364851

... and others to several alternative destinations that vary more with the season - and you might even go from here directly to the AC, and then finish in Sorrento, from where there's a handy bus service that goes back to Capodichino, if that's where you're flying from?

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187782-i162-k48…

OK?

Peter

UK
Destination Expert
for Sorrento
Level Contributor
3,169 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do we take a car to Ischia

If Sorrento is your destination after Ischia why not go to Sorrento by sea, as suggested, and pick up your car there? No backtracking. Here are some of the agencies in Sorrento.

AVIS AUTONOLEGGIO

Corso Italia, 322

PH +39 081 8782459

Auto Europe agent

HERTZ ITALIANA

Via Capo, 8

PH +39 081 8071646

Auto Europa and Auto Europe Agent

DE MARTINO

Via Parsano, 8

PH +39 081 8782801

Auto Europe Agent

SORRENTO CAR SERVICE

Corso Italia, 210/P

PH +39 081 8781386

Europcar Agent

Edited: 6:48 am, March 25, 2012
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do we take a car to Ischia

That's likely to be better than picking up a car in Naples, where you'd face the newly extended ZTL....

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/142204079

Just a narrow strip through from the harbour to where you'd join the road to Sorrento!

Peter

Scotland
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Do we take a car to Ischia

Hi, that's great - thanks very much for all the info! We're planning on going the end of Sept into 1st week in October (I assume it will still be nice and hot then?) I like the option of getting the boat to Sorrento and picking up a car there. I'll carry on with my research......thanks again

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do we take a car to Ischia

That's a very nice time - although most years we do get some brief but quite heavy thunderstorms that mark the start of autumn!

Climate averages for Naples - where the airport is the nearest place at which reliable data is gathered....

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/137093820

It's surprising how often they break over lunchtime - making them fairly easy to avoid!

Pictures from both months amongst these:

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/iscpics

Perhaps worth mentioning that it's a passengers-only hydrofoil service to Sorrento from here - and carries no vehicles!

Thanks for the dates.... although the summer-only connection with the AC usually ends around September 15th, it's possible to "jump ship" at Positano or Amalfi from one of the excursion boats, which normally run until later in the season....

ischiasea.com/images/pdf/ischiasea-2011.pdf

Whilst they only operate 3 or 4 times a week, one possible advantage is that you'd arrive around noon, rather than at perhaps 6PM on the Sorrento hydrofoil!

Peter

Scotland
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Do we take a car to Ischia

That's great, thanks again for all your advice!

7. Re: Do we take a car to Ischia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:42 am, June 20, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Isola d'Ischia