We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

food shops, supermarkets in Ischia?

Budapest
Level Contributor
189 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
food shops, supermarkets in Ischia?

Can anybody suggest food shop in Ischia? Mainly in Ischia-ponte or porto? I ahve read there is no food market anymore in Ischia-porto?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: food shops, supermarkets in Ischia?

Hi!

There's a supermarket at the start of Via delle Terme...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/129644075

... and another one about halfway along Via Michele Mazzella.

The old market was replaced by a new one some years about, but it's quite a long way away - take Via delle Terme, and continue after it changes to Via Morgioni, almost to its end and look out for it on the left.... or the infrequent number 13 bus will take you there!

Where abouts are you staying?

Peter

Budapest
Level Contributor
189 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: food shops, supermarkets in Ischia?

Thank you dear Peter. I have already read your many written advices and saw lots of photos you have taken. I shall stay in hotel Europa in October. But this place of the World is so interesting that I am looking at things in advance.

So I will not die of hunger.

My other question whether the thermal water colors the bathing suits or not. Because people say in Kos island, Greece the bathing suit will be brown after having bath.

Budapest
Level Contributor
189 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: food shops, supermarkets in Ischia?

Via delle terme 52. I have already written this from somewhere. Thanx I also wrote via delle Ginetres 24. Di Scala. Is it true?

Budapest
Level Contributor
189 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: food shops, supermarkets in Ischia?

Is the market every day?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: food shops, supermarkets in Ischia?

The old market was a great place, but - as I recollect - they found it had been built using asbestos, and had to close it down, quickly! A few photos...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/isc_old_mkt

I've not been to the new one, although my wife goes there on occasions - and isn't impressed!

Immediately across the road from the Hotel Europa there's a very good fruit and vegetable shop, where we get all such stuff from.

And just at the entrance to the old part of Ischia Ponte there's a small supermarket that's fine for ordinary things, and water, wine etc - with an excellent bread and delicatessen selection - and you'll find several other little shops as you continue towards the castle.

But to see a better market, head over to Forio - on the other side of the side of the island.. I've some pictures of a few of the stalls there amongst these:

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/eat_drink

Those addresses...

Don't think we've ever been in the Di Scala shop, as isn't a convenient place to get to - but it's actually Via Delle Ginestre, 24

The other one we do visit quite often, it used to be a 'Di per Di' but a year or so ago changed loyalty and joined some other group.

On the road directly across the junction with Via A di Luca from there, you'll find a very good delicatessen - where it's easy to spend a small fortune!

Peter

Budapest
Level Contributor
189 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: food shops, supermarkets in Ischia?

Thank you Peter. What about the water? Is it coloring the bathing suits or not. Should I take old bathing costums and through them away or new ones?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: food shops, supermarkets in Ischia?

The waters...

There's quite a variation in the mixes of chemicals contained in the waters that surface in the various parts of the island - and, traditionally, different diseases and maladies would be treated at whichever spa had what considered the most appropriate formulation...

The springs in the area near Ischia Ponte come up through rock layers with a fairly high iron content - which means they're slightly green at first - and, over the course of a day, turn brownish as the oxygen in the atmosphere reacts with the compounds that are dissolved in them.

That's one of the reasons why the hotels with spa water pools here have to drain them every night, and fill them afresh - and a good way of knowing whether they've gone to the bother of doing so!

The effect on swimming costumes seems to vary, depending perhaps on exactly what they're made of (and their colour of course!). We've always found that the brown will easily rinse out again, but others claim to have had theirs ruined...

If you've not seen it, perhaps try this nice little leaflet on Campania's spa areas:

http://www.overseasgourmet.com/spa.pdf

Peter

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: food shops, supermarkets in Ischia?

Sorry, didn't see your last message...

How about bringing an old one to test first - and only then try anything newer.

Obviously the sea's fine colourwise, and should be OK for swimming in still - and most of the spa gardens (such as Negombo) were built where the water has a lower iron content, so feel free to take your most elegant one if going to any of those!

Peter

Budapest
Level Contributor
189 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: food shops, supermarkets in Ischia?

Thank you. I know that your favourite is Negombo. I shall go 3 times to Italy this year, but this Ischia island is the more exciting for me. It is different than the other touristic sites.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
650 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: food shops, supermarkets in Ischia?

Hi Peter, Hi Flower... sorry to crash the thread, but I just had to say I will be visiting Ischia for the second time in my life this coming April with my eleven year old daughter, and we are also visiting Budapest for our first time!

Peter, we will be in Ischia, tentatively the nights of April 7, 8 and 9. Will arriving right about Easter be trouble? I noticed the hotels are more expensive than the following week.

Most importantly, we would LOVE TO MEET YOU!

You make TA soooo much better!

(flower, hope to see you on Budapest TA forum)....

Get answers to your questions about Isola d'Ischia