We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 or 3 days in Capri?

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
139 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
2 or 3 days in Capri?

We are trying to finalize our trip plans to Italy and are torn between spending 2 or 3 days in Capri. If we spend 2 days, we would spend an extra day in Florence and travel to the Cinque Terre. Otherwise, we would spend 3 days in Capri taking a boat tour of the island, seeing the Blue Grotto and travelling to Sorento. Not sure of how much of that we can do in only 2 days. Help!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,451 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 or 3 days in Capri?

Others will surely disagree, but, in my opinion, spending two or three days on Capri is a waste of time and money. You will be running around "doing" the the island, and never really seeing it. Capri needs time to be appreciated. It is to be savored slowly. It is for spending hours in the Piazetta over coffee or a drink. It is for lazy days at a pool or a beach club. It is for naps in the sun. It is for leisurely walks to nowhere in particular. To make my point, ask anyone who has spent lots of time on Capri if they would recommend a visit to the Blue Grotto. The likely answer will be no!

Sweden
Level Contributor
495 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 or 3 days in Capri?

Well, I would recommend seeing the Blue Grotto, but if you've only got a couple of days it's not worth it. If you've got more time, swim into the grotto some day after 4pm or try to find a spot of time when there for some reason are fewer tourists. Don't set your expectations too high - it's a tourist trap, so deal with it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 or 3 days in Capri?

I would suggest spending three days at least on Capri. Certainly see the Blue Grotto and what about Axel Munthe's Villa San Michele at Anacapri, only a short bus ride from the Piazza. In my opinion the Amalfi Coast is much more spectacular than Cinque Terra and easier to get to. Take the ferry to Sorrento and arrange for a driver or hire a car and travel through Positano, Amalfi stopping at Ravello for lunch. Return by the same route and I am sure you will have had one of your best day's in Italy. Capri is an enchanting and beautiful Island and you will love it there. Da Gemma, near the Piazza on Capri is an excellent restaurant.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 or 3 days in Capri?

Francesco Marrapese at www.francescomarrapese.com is an excellent driver for the Amalfi Coast and has a very comfortable vehicle.

5. Re: 2 or 3 days in Capri?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 22, 2009