We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Capri from Positano- day trip or overnight?

Which Capri hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
26 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Capri from Positano- day trip or overnight?

Hi there,

I'll be spending five nights in Positano (following 5 nights in Rome) during the first week in October. I haven't done any itinerary planning yet, as I'm just booking hotels/airfare now, so forgive me for being less than knowledgeable about the area. I know it's very easy to day trip over to Capri, but I'm wondering if we should stay overnight to make it more worth our time and not be limited to the touristy stuff during the day. I've read numerous times that Capri is pretty great after 5 p.m., so I'm thinking we may enjoy staying there longer rather than rush back to Positano.

Opinions appreciated; thank you!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,115 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Capri from Positano- day trip or overnight?

I love both and you can easily find wonderful spots without all the tourists around in Capri by just getting away from the main spots where they congregate.

Maybe split it 3 nights in Positano, 2 in Capri. I'd not change hotels for just one night but that's just my personal choice.

www.capri.net

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Capri from Positano- day trip or overnight?

Positano is stunning and so very relaxing as the views are truly amazing. However, it is quite small so I would have a stop over on Capri as this beautiful island has such a lot to see. You can take a boat ride through the Blue Grotto. You can tour the island visiting villas and parks. What about a chair lift to the top of the island? Anacapri is lovely too. The restaurants are great as well. All very expensive though.There are many places to travel to from Positano. Amalfi and Ravello are superb and well worth visiting. Great walks too.

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
26 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Capri from Positano- day trip or overnight?

Thank you for your quick reply! I have been reading all of your posts and can see you know your Amalfi Coast!

Good point on the overnight- we'll either make it a two day stay or a day trip, since it's just an hour long ferry ride. I'm leaning towards two days so we have some time for R&R, too!

Level Contributor
299 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Capri from Positano- day trip or overnight?

We have spent time on the Amalfi Coast & Capri.

Spend as many nights as you can on Capri, Stay in Capri, not Anacapri, Forget about must do attractions & just walk, eat, swim and enjoy.

I would not go to Capri for a day trip. Just pain and suffering !

Province of...
Level Contributor
57 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Capri from Positano- day trip or overnight?

I agree with all the above tips. Stay minimum one night in Capri: it's worthy of it :)

One day you could visit the island and its many attractions ( In Capri I suggest: a stroll in the famous "Piazzetta" , perhaps a little bit of shopping in Via Vittorio Emanuele or Via delle Cammarelle, then Augustus Gardens from where you have a wonderful view on Faraglioni, Marina piccola and Via Krupp. In Anacapri: a stroll inside the small village and/or the chairlift to Monte Solaro, a visit to Axel Munthe Villa-Museum ). Consider that the island is small: to go from Piazzetta to Anacapri centre with bus you need no more than 20minutes.

The second day you could visit the island via sea either with an organized tour or with a private one and admire the famous "Grotta azzurra", the Faraglioni, and others impressive nature scenarios too :)

My husband and I chose for a private tour and, even if the price isn't cheap, it's worthy of doing that. We contacted bluride and chose for the 4hours tour... fabulous.

Here their web-site:http://www.bluride.it/eng-index.php

Last suggestion: if you have more questions, on this forum search for Camilas, read her suggestions or make her a question. We did and we had a great stay in Capri thanks to her :)

6. Re: Capri from Positano- day trip or overnight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 15, 2015