We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a Day - Anacapri and Boat Trip

NY
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a Day - Anacapri and Boat Trip

Greetings - would appreciate any experts out there, to opine on my thoughts concerning the following.

We are staying at Villa Brunella in last August, and on one of our days I thought we (wife and four kids, ages 6, 12, 14 & 17) could start out in Anacapri, do the chairlift and grab lunch. Then, head over to the Marina to meet a boat for a 2 - 6pm charter.

1-how far is Brunella from Anacapri, and what's the easiest way to get there?

2-how much time do we need to do the chairlift etc.

3-what time do you think we would need to leave Villa Brunella, to get to Capri, take the chairlift and then have lunch in Anacapri in order to be at the marina by 2 pm?

Thanks everyone...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,092 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a Day - Anacapri and Boat Trip

I don't know what you mean by leaving Villa Brunella to go to Capri - Brunella is IN Capri. I've stayed there - it is wonderful - it is on Via Tragara which is probably about a 12 to 15 minute walk to the bus you can take over to Anacapri. The buses are not very big and can fill up and sometimes you will need to wait for a next one. The ride over to Anacapri is quick - maybe about 10 minutes, maybe more if traffic is heavy.

The chairlift takes about 10 plus minutes (can't recall exactly) but it is up to you entirely as to how long you spend at the top; you can spend 10 minutes or hours - up to you.

I would count on another 30-40 minutes to get to the harbor in Marina Grande - just to be sure you get there in time; again, account for the fact that buses can be full. I'd probably give myself an hour but I'm just a bit fanatical about timings and hate to miss something because I dawdled.

Capri will be bursting at the seams when you are there - August is high season and everything will be crowded so you need to account for all that slowing you down a bit. I have been slowed down (even end of Sept) by crowds walking from Via Tragara to the bus stop area because the walkways are narrow, etc -

Is the little one (the 6 year old) going to be okay in the chairlift by him/herself? Here's a video of the chairlift so you can decide if it is appropriate for a young child - not sure I would do this for someone just 6 but it depends on the child: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH72d1obkT0

Go to about 1:50 to see what the chairs are like and the ride up -

All in all, I'd leave around 10 a.m.

Edited: 1:46 pm, June 02, 2014
NY
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a Day - Anacapri and Boat Trip

Very interesting, thanks for that video. I wasn't picturing it as an individual chair (more like a double, triple or quad like we have at the ski mountains in the northeast). Anyway, I also did see in the video, a mother holding a small child on her lap . . . so perhaps that is the way to go. I am not really sure.

Also, I meant how long should it take us to get from Brunella to Anacapri (not Capri!)? But it sounds like from your information, if we leave Brunella around 10 we should get to Mount Solaro by 10:45/11, can do the chairlift up and down by 12. Grab some lunch in Anacapri and then head over to the marina for a 2 pm boat.

I too am fanatical about times, so will give more than needed. To that point, is it silly to consider taking taxis to Anacapri and from Anacapri to the marina? Or are buses the way to go?

Thanks again for your help.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,092 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a Day - Anacapri and Boat Trip

I don't think it is silly - I just don't know where (and if) the taxis are hovering around in Anacapri - you should ask your hotel for that detail. Probably be about 20 (not sure) euros to the port from Anacapri - but, check http://www.capri.net/en/getting-around - scroll down and there are two PDFs with taxi prices on them - so, look at that, so you are not surprised and you know what you should be paying.

Bus tickets, I believe, are 1,80 euros per ticket.

You will have obviously already been there at least a day before this planned excursion, so you will have some idea of crowds and walking time from the piazzetta to your hotel, you can have scoped out the area with the buses (which is just before the piazzetta) - which, honestly, is so wonderful - the pool and view from the pool, I'd save some time to enjoy that and also do consider eating at their restaurant.

NY
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a Day - Anacapri and Boat Trip

Agreed, thanks for the tip. We (wife & I) ate at their restaurant last time in Capri . . . loved it. Trying to find some more 'suitable' / casual restaurants in which to take the whole crew this time. Undoubtedly (as with every vacation we take), my 6 yr old will sleep during dinner while the older boys will eat like truck drivers.

Our only concern with Brunella is the breakfast, as there has been a lot of chatter about its perceived inadequacy . . . however, I guess I am just planning to build in another 50 EUR or so/day in supplemental breakfast charges. What can you do - the rest of the property is excellent.

5. Re: Planning a Day - Anacapri and Boat Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 04, 2015