We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming in late September?

New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming in late September?

We will be visiting as a day trip in late September (9/25). I'm debating between doing it ourselves on ferries from Sorrento, which would be cheaper and give us longer on the island, or doing some sort of organized tour, which will include stops for swimming. I know the weather can will vary day by day, but is late September generally still swimming season, or is the water usually too cold by then?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,931 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming in late September?

I have gone swimming then - it depends. No way to predict what it will be like this year. But, I have been there at that time of year a number of times and had nice warm weather and I have also had full day rain storms.

I wouldn't book an organized tour because you don't know in advance what the weather will be like - taking the ferry over is very simple and it is easy to navigate the island - check www.capri.net for info about getting around the island and all there is to see. Try to go as early as possible in the day and stay as late as possible as you won't get to see all there is so having a full day would be great.

Level Contributor
317 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming in late September?

Water temp in September has been fine for swimming. I find visiting Capri for a day pretty hectic, but the pace will be a bit mellower in late September.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,931 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming in late September?

Not much less; when I was there in late Sept last time, it was swarming with people - the line just for funiculare had hundreds of people. It is still high season until the end of October, so do expect crowds especially in the popular areas - but, getting away from the crowds is very very simple on Capri.

When you arrive, you can join one of the boat rides that goes around the island - they go for various times, some take more passengers, some less and prices reflect which type you choose. Many will stop and let people jump in and swim as they circle the island but that is usually on the smaller boats with less people - it is a wonderful vantage point of the island to see it from the sea. You find these boat companies to your left as you exit the quay from which your ferry/hydrofoil will arrive.

Try not to waste time in the piazzetta - it is just packed to the rafters and mostly designer stores - you can walk away from it in less than five minutes to find quieter areas to explore. It is a madhouse during the day - and, personally, I find it really unpleasant; unfortunately a lot of day trippers end up spending too much time there and come away not like the island much based on that -

If it is a nice day - try to do the chairlift up to Mont Salero for a spectacular view -

4. Re: Swimming in late September?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, August 30, 2014