We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting Convertible Taxi for the Day

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
370 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Renting Convertible Taxi for the Day

We are going to spend one day on Capri. I went to capri.net and saw the convertible taxis. I'm wondering if anyone could advise if they have tried renting one for the day or several hours for a tour? If so, did you like and what was the cost?

We are interested in getting away from the tourists in the piazzatta and seeing the natural beauty of the island. We might also want to do a boat tour around the island that day. Is it reasonable to try to do both in 1 day? I wasnt sure how large the island was? Or how hard to navigate.

Thanks for any and all insight.

Karen

Mentioned in this post
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,620 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting Convertible Taxi for the Day

Most of the island is pedestrian only so if you want to do some exploring via car, don't rent for a full day -

Most of the transfer companies on Capri have email addresses - I would email and ask them the price, if you are able to - but, maybe just for 3 hours or so; the rest of the time, you will be walking if you want to see much of what there is to see on the island.

Mentioned in this post
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
9,104 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting Convertible Taxi for the Day

Agree with Momcat - the island is ideal for walking.

We have taken a convertible taxi from Marina Grande to Capri Town and although just a short distance, it was a lovely way to travel. There are plenty of taxis as the Marina Grande port and many of them are convertible. Maybe just get off your ferry/hydrofoil and negotiate on the spot - you may get a really good price.

As for boats around the island, it depends on what you want to see. We hired a boat and toured around for half a day but we were jumping on and off for swimming and lingering in the little coves and inlets and under the Farnesi Rocks. Our boat cost 120 euros and there were just the two of us on it. It was a beautiful way to see the island and marvel at those enormous cliffs and emerald water.

Mentioned in this post
Marina Grande
Marina Grande
773 Reviews
Island of Capri, Italy
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,620 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting Convertible Taxi for the Day

Kathy W: which boat company did you use to get half of a day for just 120 euros? Would love to know for my next trip - all the ones I've seen and talked with have been far more expensive than that - that is an incredibly low price (and great!)

There are drives one can take down a road through Anacapri to where you can reach the Blue Grotto via some steps (I walked that road, seriously miscalculating the distance and it took a long time but in car, it wouldn't and there is also a road you can take to reach the lighthouse.

Beyond that, it's mostly walking and there is no vehicles whatsoever on the piazzetta side of the island - once you get near it, you get dropped off via bus or car and walk wherever you are going -- to hotels, restaurants, etc. People get porters arranged through their hotels to take up their luggage from the port if you have something you can't comfortably walk with.

Mentioned in this post
Anacapri
Anacapri
Island of Capri, Italy
Blue Grotto
Blue Grotto
3,507 Reviews
Island of Capri, Italy
New South Wales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,104 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting Convertible Taxi for the Day

Momcat - it was organised through our hotel - La Floridiana - they set it up and we met the contact down at Marina Grande. I'm sure it was family friends as the boat had no name on it but it was one of those beautiful glossy wooden boats and the driver was one of those oh-so-gorgeous Italian men (think Raoul Bova look alike) so we felt like movie stars for half a day. We tipped him well at the start so he probably threw in extra swimming time etc.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel La Floridiana
Hotel La Floridiana
749 Reviews
Island of Capri, Italy
Marina Grande
Marina Grande
773 Reviews
Island of Capri, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,620 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting Convertible Taxi for the Day

Thanks - that was an amazing price for a private boat for that length of time. Good for you! I don't even know they could do that with the price of gas, etc. It really is great isn't it - going along, stopping to jump in and swim - sigh.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,580 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting Convertible Taxi for the Day

120 Euro is unheard of for half a day. Was it a Gozzo with all the amenities--terry mats, swim platform, fresh water spray, cushions, wine, water etc.?

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,104 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting Convertible Taxi for the Day

A gozzo? I've never heard that word - but yes it sounds like your description. We had mats up the front, bottled water, a hose to wash off the salt. No wine though! That would have been a nice touch. 120 euros is definitely what we paid - although bear in mind we were doing this in October so it was shoulder-season towards off-season and there was no one around. He tooks us to the Blue Grotto and waited while we went in, and we only had to wait 5 minutes for a rowboat. I've heard of two hour waits to go under the arch, so I guess it's these factors. We were lucky. Also, remember I tipped him well, so that probably helped too. He was worth it.

Mentioned in this post
Blue Grotto
Blue Grotto
3,507 Reviews
Island of Capri, Italy
New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,580 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting Convertible Taxi for the Day

Gozzo is the traditional boat you see all around Capri. I'm sure you were on one. October explains the price. Glad you had fun.

Mentioned in this post
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
NAPOLI
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Renting Convertible Taxi for the Day

Take a boat trip to Marina Piccola where usually is out pof the crowds.

then you can take a taxi to the Piazzetta or Marina Grande.

There is an red epoch one , the chaffeur is Lorenzo or Paolo, but ll the taxi in Capri are pristine and comfortable.

Mentioned in this post
Marina Piccola
Marina Piccola
876 Reviews
Island of Capri, Italy
Marina Grande
Marina Grande
773 Reviews
Island of Capri, Italy
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
10. Re: Renting Convertible Taxi for the Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 23, 2014