We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip in capri

Which Capri hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
florida
Level Contributor
90 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
day trip in capri

reading thru everything-getting somewhat confused. if I start going straight up to anacapri first in am and work way back down to Marina Grande at end of day-what would be best order to see things? Anacapri;Mount Solero; villa San Michele; Gardens of Augustus; walk down via Krupp. am I correct that walking down via Krupp is from capri town to MArina Grande? Trying to see the most possible in the best order possible, in the allloted amount of time we have. Just one day-don't really care about seeing ruins, etc. Probably have quick lunch somewhere?? Different so called levels of Capri-getting back and forth between them would like to organize the best we can.

Sweden
Level Contributor
495 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip in capri

Walking down Via Krupp takes you to Marina Piccola, which is the opposite side of the island from Marina Grande.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,114 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip in capri

You say you are reading about the island but have you also been looking at a map? There is one at the link below and that site overall has very good info about the island. It is not the ideal map (you can zoom in and navigate around it) but either pick up one when you get there or see if your guidebook has one - mine does.

http://www.capri.net/en/map-weather

(both map and weather at this link)

You are, it seems, planning on covering a lot of ground - not sure how many hours you will be there, but try not to underestimate the amount of time involved.

florida
Level Contributor
90 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip in capri

yes i have looked at map but somewhat difficult to get idea of how large/small island actually is. So if we get to island around 9am and don't have to leave island until 5pm-would you recommend doing the Piazzolungo or the Solaro route? Not really interested in touristy things just want to see as much as possible. I understand there are lots of views from various spots. Is the walk down Via Krupp worth it or the villa San Michele? don't know if have time to do both Gardens of Augustus & villa?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,114 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip in capri

All those are touristy things - that's not necessarily a bad thing but don't expect that it will be like some of the great hikes on the island where there are just a few, if any, people.

I can't really comment on all this because I would never do all this in one day - I spend more time in some places because they really interest me and a brief amount of time in others because they are not of much interest. I've done all this but I do it over the course of a week so have no idea what it would be like in one day.

I would prioritize which areas you really want to see the most just in case you run out of time to do it all - and you do have a lot on there. Are you talking about taking the chairlift up to Solaro or walking it? With this heavy itinerary, you should do the chairlift.

Whether Via Krupp or Villa San Michele is "worth it" is subjective. I read Munthe's book before my first trip back to the island as an adult, which made the villa far more interesting to me. The two places are like night and day so not sure how to compare them.

What time of year are you doing this? If summer, keep in mind it will be hot/humid and all this walking may be a real drag after awhile -

Others may have some other suggestions for you.

London
Level Contributor
142 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trip in capri

If you are interested in views & scenery then I would really recommend Via Krupp,((not that the views from Villa San Michele aren't lovely), but Via Krupp is incredible & very unique.

Capri, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sorrento, Capri
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trip in capri

This article should help you to organize your day:

http://www.capri.com/en/i/the-island-in-a-day

A lot of depends by the weather: if it is foggy and cloudy it's not worth to go up until MT Solaro, otherwhise, if it's a clear day, the view will be amazing. Pizzolungo is quiete long (around 2 hours).

florida
Level Contributor
90 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day trip in capri

we will be in Capri in May. The weather should be nice and the crowds not too bad yet I hope. After listening to all suggestions, I get the idea that going up to Mount Solaro might be the one thing I could skip if time is an issue. there are a few other walks that offer the beauiful views and i don't need to see the same view from 4 different advantage points. Don't get me wrong-I want to enjoy what we see but I also want to see as much as possible. thanks for all your info

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,114 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: day trip in capri

It's your trip - do as you like.

The view from Solaro is the highest point of the island so on a clear day, can be breathtaking but there are many wonderful views around the island and the fun thing too, is the chairlift. It's a treat.

Oh, and yes, May will be crowded....

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,266 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: day trip in capri

I stayed in Anacapri for 8 days in May 2008 and it was great. Not sure if you can accomplish all tyhid in one day if you have your foot pedal to the metal. It would have taken us 3 days for us to do this at a leisurely place. Mid May wasn't too bad for crowding especially on the Anacpri side of the island. As June approached, it got increasing crowded expecially on the Capri side near the Piazzetta.

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

Good luck with that "quick" lunch if you want to eat in an actually restaurant. There are those fast food carts outside Villa San Michele, though.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,266 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: day trip in capri

I believe this picture is Via Krupp as taken from the Gardens of Augustus

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

map

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

I beleive that there is a bus that you can take back up from Marian Piccola