We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it possible to do chair lift and Blue-Grotto in one day?

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is it possible to do chair lift and Blue-Grotto in one day?

Hello, I'm going to Italy in August and would like to do a day trip to Capri. If I were to take the train really early in the morning would there be enough time to do both in a day?

Also, how do I go about getting a boat tour to the Blue Grotto, should I sign up in advance, or wait until I get there? Any recommendations of companies to use?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
Blue Grotto
Blue Grotto
3,512 Reviews
Island of Capri, Italy
Campagnano di Roma...
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it possible to do chair lift and Blue-Grotto in one day?

You can do the Blue Grotto visit from the port of Capri, Marina Grande. There are no advance reservations. The chairlift up to the mountain leaves from the main tourist square of Anacapri. Yes, you can do both the same day. You might consider not returning to Marina Grande after the grotto visit and take the bus directly up to Anacapri town for the chairlift. Afterward take another bus either down to Capri or directly back to the Marina Grande port.

Mentioned in this post
Blue Grotto
Blue Grotto
3,512 Reviews
Island of Capri, Italy
Island of Capri
Island of Capri
Province of Naples, Italy
Marina Grande
Marina Grande
775 Reviews
Island of Capri, Italy
Anacapri
Anacapri
Island of Capri, Italy
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
New York, New York...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it possible to do chair lift and Blue-Grotto in one day?

Thanks so much. Is there usually a long wait at the Marina Grande? Also, how would I not go back to the Marina Grande after the grotto visit, wouldn't it return to where it left from?

Mentioned in this post
Marina Grande
Marina Grande
775 Reviews
Island of Capri, Italy
Campagnano di Roma...
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it possible to do chair lift and Blue-Grotto in one day?

In August you can expect crowds and lines for most everything. After coming out of the grotto in the rowboat just ask to be dropped at the stairs which will be to your left. Walk up the stairs all the way to the top and you'll find a parking lot and the bus stop. The larger boat you arrived on will return to Marina Grande with the other passengers but without you.

Mentioned in this post
Marina Grande
Marina Grande
775 Reviews
Island of Capri, Italy
old bridge,new...
Level Contributor
693 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it possible to do chair lift and Blue-Grotto in one day?

If you can do a private boat tour around Capri, which is a 2 1/2 hour ride with the Blue Grotto, (little extra for Grotto), it is absolutely amazing and worth everything, especially in Aug.. .. We went with Relax Capri, 140 Euro and the older gentleman took us to every nook and cranny and pointed everything out to us carved in the limestone or saints made by fishermen,. Im sure he would even let you take a dip in the water. We went up to Anacapri,, I was too afraid to do the chair lift,,, but everyone said it was amazing, but also think of the heat that time of the year,,, I would rather be on the water... Of course ask first if the Grotto will even be open that day,,, we were lucky. We were just there a few days ago... Like Settecento said,, even if you did the boat tour you could do both in a day,, I would do Anacapri early morning and Grotto in the afternoon... Have fun!!!

Mentioned in this post
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
Blue Grotto
Blue Grotto
3,512 Reviews
Island of Capri, Italy
Anacapri
Anacapri
Island of Capri, Italy
New York, New York...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it possible to do chair lift and Blue-Grotto in one day?

Thanks for the advice. Do you think the lines for the boat tour/blue grotto would be smaller in the afternoon?

old bridge,new...
Level Contributor
693 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it possible to do chair lift and Blue-Grotto in one day?

I am not qualified to answer that question for you,,, I am a tourist who just got back from there,,,, As long as you put it out there,, you will get an destination expert answer,, they are wonderful.... All I could say is that I think Anacapri and the chair lift would be hotter in the afternoon, being up the mountain..and all,, I would do that as early as I could and get down to Marina Grande as soon as I could... but you can reserve your boat before hand...and time,,, and again,, you dont know, even on a good day if the grotto will be open...but at least you know you can reserve your boat and no lines around Capri, not saying that there will be no lines at the Grotto.... I just have a gut feeling that the big Boat companies can just call ahead to the grotto boats and have them come right to you,, not sure, but my gut feeling... that is how I felt on my around Capri tour.,,, but it is early May too, not when you are going.... Keep posting and good luck

Mentioned in this post
Anacapri
Anacapri
Island of Capri, Italy
Marina Grande
Marina Grande
775 Reviews
Island of Capri, Italy
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
7. Re: Is it possible to do chair lift and Blue-Grotto in one day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:43 am, June 19, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Capri