We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Or is Sorrento better than Capri?

Which Capri hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Or is Sorrento better than Capri?

Continued from previous post--- recommendations?

London
Level Contributor
24 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Or is Sorrento better than Capri?

The two are incomparable. I came back from Capri and Positano last week and spent one day in Sorrento, which is a large town and what I would consider more of a transport hub ie good for getting around, but not staying in. Its not particularly pretty or relaxing. Capri is truly stunning, its a small island with wonderful walking, I went with my boyfriend and we spent two solid days walking. Very romantic. You can make it as strenuous or easy as you like. Given the choice I would deifnitely go back to Capri, but not Sorrento. Its just a big dirty town in comparison to Capri, which has all the charm and elegeance it is renowned for. Hope that helps. If you do visit Capri we dined at the Villa Verde and cannot recommend it enough. Good luck! Ps weather wasnt bad when we were there, but it did rain on and off for one solid day so be sure to bring your rain mac, but this shouldnt spoil the fun :)

Island Height, NJ
Level Contributor
151 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Or is Sorrento better than Capri?

I agree with happy, we will be returning to Capri next fall for a week and will not be returning to Sorrento. Sorrento looked like a flea market, with stall after stall of the same stuff for sale. The food at Villa Verde in Capri was some of the best I had in Italy. I would have the Buffalo Mozzarella and the seafood salad. This will be my third trip to Italy and I can say that capri is one of my favorite spots.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Or is Sorrento better than Capri?

On the other hand, if you want to see more of the area, in particular Pompeii, Amalfi, Positano, then Sorrento is much the better place to stay. Easy rail and bus links to all those places, whereas if you are on the island you have a 40 minutes boat trip back to the mainland. Agree with the others, though, Capri is quite beautiful, despite the hordes of tourists it attracts.