We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice please- Ferry to Capri from Naples or Sorrento?

Which Capri hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice please- Ferry to Capri from Naples or Sorrento?

From the Naples airport, is it advised to get to Capri via Naples port or Sorrento port?

I am leaning towards Sorrento because of the shorter boat ride, but have no idea how to get to that port from the Naples airport- can someone let me know if coach or taxi is more advisable?

Thank you!!

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice please- Ferry to Capri from Naples or Sorrento?

While the hydrofoil makes the journey between Sorrento and Capri in half the time it requires from Naples to Capri (you save 20 minutes), I believe the time / distance and cost of getting from the airport to Sorrento is more than getting to Naples itself for the boat ride.

In addition to taxis, there are buses:

http://www.curreriviaggi.it/default.htm

Tampa
Level Contributor
40 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice please- Ferry to Capri from Naples or Sorrento?

On our way to Capri, we took the Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento and the ferry to Capri. Yes, the boat trip is shorter. Leaving, we took the ferry from Capri to Naples. The sea was incredibly rough that day, but it was still a much more direct route and, I think, took less time. Unless you want to see Sorrento (which I would highly recommend - and you could still do so in a day trip from Capri), take the hydrofoil from Naples

Kuwait City, Kuwait
Level Contributor
110 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice please- Ferry to Capri from Naples or Sorrento?

We were there in September and following advice from this site choose the Naples Train station / Mollo Beverello Port by boat to Capri. It was painless and quick and the boat trip was calm but I must say we had good weather. If we did it again we would do the same.

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice please- Ferry to Capri from Naples or Sorrento?

if you choose to go via Sorrento - then from the airport get the Curreri company coach to Sorrento - it's outside arrivals and it goes direct from outside the airport to Piazza Tasso in the centre of Sorrento. Website for the Curreri co. is www.curreriviaggi.it where you can check the time-tables. This bus takes one hour and a quarter, and costs about six euro per person. Then get a taxi down to the port - not far.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice please- Ferry to Capri from Naples or Sorrento?

Thank you everyone!!! Very helpful advice.

canada
Level Contributor
7,495 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice please- Ferry to Capri from Naples or Sorrento?

I was using the Naples-Capri ferry back in August. To me it was calm, but the crew were very busy handling out plastic bags to those having trouble. Ferry from Sorrento was really smooth.

Los angeles...
Level Contributor
162 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice please- Ferry to Capri from Naples or Sorrento?

For a family that gets sea sick easily, exactly how long is the ferry ride from naples as opposed to sorrento?

Thanks!

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice please- Ferry to Capri from Naples or Sorrento?

Dina;

the hydrofoil is faster than the ferry, the trip lasts around 40 minutes... I believe the ferry is double that time (Naples to Capri)

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,212 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice please- Ferry to Capri from Naples or Sorrento?

From Sorrento to capri is about 20 minutes or less. The ferries range in size, but none are very small and some are huge. It's more like sitting on a plane, but it can get quite choppy. Sit on the left hand side of the boat to see the views of the coast.

Los angeles...
Level Contributor
162 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice please- Ferry to Capri from Naples or Sorrento?

Thanks a lot. That's so good to know!